Can frogs survive hot weather in small pond?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Two ponds. 4000Ltrs and 900Ltrs

P22052708543910.jpg

It takes a while in spring for the sun to get above the hedge but by July august the sun is almost directly overhead and the water temperature can get way over 25c near 30c unless I put up a sun shade.

I have fish in both ponds. Very occasionally get a frog but they don't stay long certainly won't spawn with the fish in there.

I'm currently extending the patio around to the right side of the ponds and decided to include another tiny pond to one corner (where the tripod is in the picture) just for wildlife, frogs etc. By tiny I mean maybe just around one square mtr and not very deep.

But now it occurs to me that such a small pond is going to get jolly hot in the summer.

How do frogs etc survive in that environment?

I can put in a lily with big leaves to cover a lot of the surface and lots of plants around it.

But is there anyone actually said what water temperature a frog is happy in?

Thanks guys

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Beautiful! Agree the frogs will lay eggs there, but they do and will live with the fish when not making kids. Where it is cooler

Ask a Question