Can I have a small pond without a pump if there's plants in it?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You can also add some small holes to the side of the container to let the water drain out there also so it won't flow over the top.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
That's why I'd add holes to the bottom or yes overflow can happen and water can fill in it and might get skeeters then. I think Iris spread more by their tuberous roots but I do think they can drop seeds and multiple that way too. Just pick the dead flowers and no worries.
Alright so if I go buy an iris at a nursery, can I just directly plant the iris with the pot that it came with? Or would I have to take it out of the pot and put the iris in a different container

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Your irises may be suffering more due to the shrubs and huge tree you mentioned. They are sun loving plants. They also, like all perennials, have a life cycle - once they are done blooming the foliage will begin to fade. The speed at which that happens depends on heat and precipitation.

Oops - just re-read your post. You want to MOVE them to the shady area? Where are they planted now?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
make a small hole and spread a large plastic bag then add some soil over it , it will work like bog,wil b always wet, i saw plant nursuries do this for ferns and water loving plants they add 3 inch deep plastic bog umud nder pots ,plastic dsnt need to be water tight , can hv punctures too , still it will trap enuf water

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Another suggestion might be to add peat to the soil to help maintain moisture.

You for sure need to share pictures with us, both before and after. Some great ideas here, and I'd love to see how it works out!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Your irises may be suffering more due to the shrubs and huge tree you mentioned. They are sun loving plants. They also, like all perennials, have a life cycle - once they are done blooming the foliage will begin to fade. The speed at which that happens depends on heat and precipitation.

Oops - just re-read your post. You want to MOVE them to the shady area? Where are they planted now?
There in full sun area right now like maybe 5-6 hours of sun. But yea I don't know why I mentioned shady area... I forgot that irises need full sun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Another suggestion might be to add peat to the soil to help maintain moisture.

You for sure need to share pictures with us, both before and after. Some great ideas here, and I'd love to see how it works out!
Alright I sure will! Btw usman, if I put a plastic bag over it, how will the irises multiply? Will they grow and penetrate straight through the plastic bag?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Plastic should contain soil or water on it , it should work like a big bog u were planing just it will have more soil then water ,.. hmm may b u can see they might spread roots thru it lateron

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Plastic should contain soil or water on it , it should work like a big bog u were planing just it will have more soil then water ,.. hmm may b u can see they might spread roots thru it lateron

JBailey

Jack of all trades; master of some
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Here's a pic of my work-in-progress bog. More pics and store here - https://seventreesfarm.wordpress.com/2016/07/26/bog-day-afternoon/
Originally I had made a teeny tiny raised 'bog' in the round pan, but it was not working as planned. I still wanted room for boggy plants for wildlife since we get so many frogs and other critters in the garden. So I dug a hole next to my trough pond, lined it with some black visqueen I had in the shop, poked a few holes about 8-12" from the top, and started filling it up. Then I took the plastic tub (from the pond section at Lowes) and put a piece of plastic in the bottom to partially block the hole I had drilled for tubing. There are already small holes near the top edge from when it was the spillway in the metal trough. It's got some pea gravel in it now to hold the plastic in place while I let everything settle. I'm going to fill it up with more dirt and gravel and let some dwarf cattails go to town in it.
I sloped the surrounding area so the tub is lowest, and the little path I'm making between the trough and bog will channel overflow from the trough into the bog too. So far when I fill it all up it holds water pretty well, and we haven't had rain for weeks. Once the rains come back it should be a lot boggier, and I'm hoping the plants will fill in and cover the edges of the tub. I'm afraid to turn creeping jenny loose in there but I might if I need faster ground cover.
Anyway, that's one way to make a small bog :D
file-jul-26-11-48-34-am.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
JBailey that is a brilliant idea! Your plants should be really happy :)
And usman I would do the sheet bag but one question. What kind of sheet bag? Like a black garbage bag where you can get it from shoprite? Or is there a specific one for bogs

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Yes should be fine unless its specialy made to dissolve in soil lol , cut it open to make it wider

Last edited:

Ask a Question