Can I lower my Ph and maintain KH??

Reaction score
Got a Ph question. I have slowly and gradually added sodium bicarbonate to my water and the KH in now solidly over 100 and the Ph is a solid 8.3. Although my Ph is now steady I am a bit uncomfortable with this level as it puts my fish at risk should an ammonia spike occur. I am wondering now that the KH has been stabilized is it possible to lower the Ph with sodium bisulfate and still maintain the good KH levels? I'd like to run a lower Pg but also don't want to be adding a bunch of chemicals that do nothing but work against each other.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
using baking soda to increase KH will always yield a PH value of 8.2-8.3. They are other products on the market that will increase KH and leave a different PH value. But some of these can be quite expensive. If you have good filtration and don't over feed your really should be fine. I've been maintaining my ponds at 8.3 for several years and honestly, The more stable KH and PH has proven over and over again to be more beneficial than trying to adjust to a specific PH. If you want to try a product that will keep the PH at a lower value and still work on a consistent basis you may want to look into Lithaqua. If you need a supplier I do know one that is carrying it. But like I said, it runs about $45 a pound plus shipping. 1# is recommended for a 4500-6000 gallon pond for one full season, maybe a little longer.

Reaction score
using baking soda to increase KH will always yield a PH value of 8.2-8.3. They are other products on the market that will increase KH and leave a different PH value. But some of these can be quite expensive. If you have good filtration and don't over feed your really should be fine. I've been maintaining my ponds at 8.3 for several years and honestly, The more stable KH and PH has proven over and over again to be more beneficial than trying to adjust to a specific PH. If you want to try a product that will keep the PH at a lower value and still work on a consistent basis you may want to look into Lithaqua. If you need a supplier I do know one that is carrying it. But like I said, it runs about $45 a pound plus shipping. 1# is recommended for a 4500-6000 gallon pond for one full season, maybe a little longer.
Having no problems at 8.3, just wondering about looking/learning other options. Bisulfate seemed like an affordable option if it would give the desired result. Cost is definitely a consideration when treating 15,000 gal. Want to keep it as simple and cheap as possible. Applying anything to my water requires at LEAST a gallon and we all know how much a gallon of any pond additive can cost.
Thanks for your advise

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I have a 10,500 gallon pond and a 8,500 gallon pond side by side. I know what you mean. I prefer to put my money on filtration and not worry as much about ammonia. I'm all about stable water and if I can maintain a KH that keeps the PH locked in at 8.3 then I consider that the most important factor. Baking soda is cheap and it's pretty much a given PH. I get Baking soda by the case at Sam's. 1-4# box usually is plenty to add to both ponds when I start seeing a drop in KH after heavy rains. I may need to add a second a few days later to obtain my Ultimate reading I want but I would rather bring it up slow and over a few days anyway.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
@LarryM

Completely agree with Mr. Fishin. The better way to stay ahead of ammonia spikes is good pond husbandry, such as be sure too much plant decay does not build up and do not feed too much, and a good filtration system.

Dealing with ammonia is much easier than trying to maintain a specific pH.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Got a Ph question. I have slowly and gradually added sodium bicarbonate to my water and the KH in now solidly over 100 and the Ph is a solid 8.3. Although my Ph is now steady I am a bit uncomfortable with this level as it puts my fish at risk should an ammonia spike occur. I am wondering now that the KH has been stabilized is it possible to lower the Ph with sodium bisulfate and still maintain the good KH levels? I'd like to run a lower Pg but also don't want to be adding a bunch of chemicals that do nothing but work against each other.

No, sodium bisulfate will not help you.

It will lower the pH, but this change will only be temporary.

Lowering a water's pH is not as simple as folk make it out to be. Some folk have a very easy time while it is more difficult and costly for others.

You must understand alkalinity. Alkalinity is the measure of water's ability to resist changes to acid. A "buffer", in our context, is most often referring to the alkalinity. The marketing shorthand nomenclature slang for alkalinity is "KH", which "KH" has an entirely different meaning except it mostly relates to alkalinity. Personally, I prefer the term alkalinity rather than "KH" unless I want to be lazy. Alkaline and alkalinity is not the same. Alkaline is describing the water's pH when it is above 7.0. Alkalinity is describing the measurement of the water's ability to resist changes to acid.

To better understand how, a water "buffer", or alkalinity, function, then think of a mattress pad. When you jump on the mattress pad, the pad slightly lifts you back up due to the springs in the pad. The springs act like how the buffer functions. Each time you aggressively jump on the mattress pad then the springs get worn out and don't lift you up so much. The mattress pad is the "water", the pad's springs are the "buffer", and the jumping is the acid. Thus, as you continue to aggressively jump on the mattress pad (that is adding "acid" to the water) on the springs (or "buffer"), then the jumping (or "acid") eventually wears out, or depletes, the springs (or "buffer"); so, then, you eventually have to add more springs (or "buffer").

This explains why folk experience the occurrence of "pH jumping" whenever trying to lower water's pH. Lets say your water's pH is 8.4. When you add an acid, such as sodium bisulfate, the water's pH will absolutely drop to say 7.8 pH. However, if the water's alkalinity is high, then after some agitation and a few hours of allowing the acid to dissolve into the water, then the pH jumps back up to 8.4 pH. This becomes extremely aggravating to folk when they don't understand why this is happening. However, if your source water's alkalinity is low, then the degree of this pH jumping is reduced or not even noticeable.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
If ammonia is the concern to lower pH, then it is better to provide good filtration and much safer for your fish to provide a constant, stable pH.

Ask a Question