Can I put cichlids in my pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have a 700 gallon pond with red Rosie minnows, mosquito fish and 4 fantail goldfish. I was wondering if I could put a cichlid in there as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
That’s probably not a good idea if you like your other fish. Other than that, it depends on where you live, and if your pond is suited for the fish, ph and temp range wise. From what little ( very little, I’ve never had them) cichlids are tropical fish, mostly originating in Africa or South America. So if say you live in Florida, you could probably get away with it. Where as I live in Oklahoma, so I’d have to move them indoors at the end of summer.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It’s been a long time since I was into aquarium fish, but can’t cichlids be on the aggressive side? Also, they are “tropical” fish so don’t know how they would handle cooler water.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
A friend kept bluegill in a small pond; he used to collect native species for his many aquariums. NANFA might be a good resource if you want to keep native fish like bluegill or similar but you’d need to rehome your goldfish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
A friend kept bluegill in a small pond; he used to collect native species for his many aquariums. NANFA might be a good resource if you want to keep native fish like bluegill or similar but you’d need to rehome your goldfish.

are the bluegill aggressive or territorial? It’s a small 650 gallon pond

Ask a Question