sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I see some mistakes in over wintering .First no tap water use pond water and keep air going for roots .Roots need air and tap water is not good no real nutrients in it .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I see some mistakes in over wintering .First no tap water use pond water and keep air going for roots .Roots need air and tap water is not good no real nutrients in it .
I'm using tap water and regularly add Miracle Grow, this is all I am willing to do to try and save these Hyacinths
Today I actually had to rinse them out under the faucet to free them from the little black snails I had for the first time this year, and are the reason why I decided to try overwintering plants
while I was washing the roots I noticed white, newly grown roots, I think it's a good sign, so for now I'm still optimist

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Is saving seeds an option? Does anyone know how to do it?
Oh my, I never thought of that! Thank you for the inspiration, I must look into it and see if it could be done

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They sell the seeds on ebay but grow them in dirt to start with .Tap water has to much stuff in it that they add to it .Rain water can be caught and used also .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If you have well water you should be fine also unless you have arsenic or some awful thing in it but then you would be dead or very ill so no worries :whistle:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
They sell the seeds on ebay but grow them in dirt to start with .Tap water has to much stuff in it that they add to it .Rain water can be caught and used also .
I have well water, it goes through a water softener if I take it from inside the house , the outdoor does not

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I got seeds from ebay but i couldn't get them to sprout. tried in water, wet napkin, and in dirt. maybe bad seeds?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Patfish I've read a few things about buying seeds on eBay - much of what you get is not what the seller claims it to be. I'm sure there are lots of reputable sellers, but the dishonest ones make it hard for everyone to know the difference.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
November is gone and my Hyacinths are still doing ok...some leaves rot and new leaves emerge...I love that grow lamp, looks like I might have a shot...thanks Michael for suggesting I try that!
I love this Forum, so many helpful people :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
well hey, hey, hey, what can I say....'you're WELCOME!'
musical note-sm.jpg

Attachments

• musical note-sm.jpg
    musical note-sm.jpg
    622 bytes · Views: 138
Last edited: