Can water Hyacinth be winterized?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Gemma I have heard tho if even the tiniest bit of green left on the Hyacinth it might still make it but if it turns all brown into mush then no hope. Good that your palm likes it inside. I have an European Palm that I bring inside each winter but it will get too big one day. Some say they will survive outdoors here but I'm not so sure about that. I'll keep it as long as I can and then one day plant it outdoors forever and it will just have to live or die. Picked a seed off a plant at Costco several years ago and that's how it came to be :whistle:
It's good that you told me that about the Hyacinth, now I know not to give up too soon! Thanks!:)
The umbrella palm grows so fast, so I brought in the smallest baby I could find, if it lives it should be a good size by the time I can put it in the pond ( May/June) next year

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have kept mine the last 7 years in my basement to overwinter them .I then trade all the extra ones at my garden center for things I want .I have them by the end of March for my garden center and they can't get them until April and some times June

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I just threw out 42 out of my little pond yesterday. They were taking over. Too bad I can't sell these things. That's a no no in Texas. I don't know if I can even give them away.. lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It's good that you told me that about the Hyacinth, now I know not to give up too soon! Thanks!:)
The umbrella palm grows so fast, so I brought in the smallest baby I could find, if it lives it should be a good size by the time I can put it in the pond ( May/June) next year
Gemma; I think you're going to need WARM temps and HIGH light to make this experiment work. Plus a good supply of fertilizer. I can typically get one very large specimen in the spring for $4, so I don't make it a priority to overwinter WH anymore. Water Lettice is easier as it doesn't like high light. Grow mine in an aquarium with fluorescents quite easily, mainly so I have something for the horde to eat in the spring before I get to the pond nursery. I overwinter taro, parrot's feather, dwarf papyrus, WL, bacopa, water clover and pennywort. Though, all but the wl and parrot's feather struggle because I'm only using T8's and the temp is in the low 60s in my basement 'greeenhouse'. Anyway, it can be done, but I think you need the light and warm temps to be really successful.

Michael

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Gemma; I think you're going to need WARM temps and HIGH light to make this experiment work. Plus a good supply of fertilizer. I can typically get one very large specimen in the spring for $4, so I don't make it a priority to overwinter WH anymore. Water Lettice is easier as it doesn't like high light. Grow mine in an aquarium with fluorescents quite easily, mainly so I have something for the horde to eat in the spring before I get to the pond nursery. I overwinter taro, parrot's feather, dwarf papyrus, WL, bacopa, water clover and pennywort. Though, all but the wl and parrot's feather struggle because I'm only using T8's and the temp is in the low 60s in my basement 'greeenhouse'. Anyway, it can be done, but I think you need the light and warm temps to be really successful.

Michael
Thanks Michael!
The idea was to have my own, so I wouldn't risk introducing unwanted bugs, algae etc in the pond every year, but I'm not sure I want to go through all that to save WH
I thought it could stay in my kitchen by the windows and eat miracle grow, if not oh well at least I tried
This is what it looks like...not good! 20171026_131607.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, well it's still got the green. Let it be till it turns to mush, what can it hurt?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks Michael!
The idea was to have my own, so I wouldn't risk introducing unwanted bugs, algae etc in the pond every year, but I'm not sure I want to go through all that to save WH
I thought it could stay in my kitchen by the windows and eat miracle grow, if not oh well at least I tried
This is what it looks like...not good!View attachment 105780
You could try putting it under a grow light (real close, but not so it burns) as that would give it both heat and intense light, just to see if it perks up. I had trouble with my water clover until I did just exactly that. Grew much better.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You could try putting it under a grow light (real close, but not so it burns) as that would give it both heat and intense light, just to see if it perks up. I had trouble with my water clover until I did just exactly that. Grew much better.
I can try that! Thanks for the tip!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have a big fishtank this year and put it by the basement window so hoping it will be better .I use a small fish tank aerator for the water .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I picked up more Hyacinth from the pond since the one I had wasn't doing so good, and I placed them under the grow light....I wonder if they would do better in something deeper?
I really hope they'll make it 20171031_134431.jpg 20171031_070016.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I just read this online:

Overwintering Water Hyacinth
Water hyacinths thrive in warm weather and die if exposed to cold winters. Unless you live within their preferred USDA plant zones, grow them as annuals or overwinter them indoors. If you choose to overwinter water hyacinths indoors, bring them indoors before the first frost date in your region. Put the plants in a tub and set the tub near a window where it can receive at least six hours of sun per day.

and this:

Winter Care: Trying to overwinter water hyacinths in cold regions is usually more hassle than it�s worth. They are cheep enough and grow fast enough during the summer that it is usually easier and more cost effective to buy new ones each spring. If you want to try keep hyacinths over winter they need a warm spot that is brightly lit. A South window is best, but artificial lighting may still be necessary. Fluorescent shop lights 6� above the plants is about right. Some people have reported success by putting a couple inches of compost in the bottom of the container the hyacinths are in. Others actually pot the hyacinths and submerge the pot so the rim is an inch or two below the water surface.

and:

Overwintering Tropical Floating Plants
Floating tropical marginals like water hyacinth, water lettuce, and salvinia can be overwintered if they have bright natural sunlight or intense artificial light (multiple fluorescent grow lights or metal halides). Water hyacinth seems to like a thin layer of soil in the bottom of its indoor "pond." Liquid fertilizer should be added as needed to keep the floating plants healthy. I have never successfully overwintered these tropical floating plants. They all turn to mush after a few weeks. The lighting has not been strong enough. Some people say that a heated greenhouse is absolutely required to overwinter water hyacinth. I have overwintered salvinia and frogbit in my aquariums under intense fluorescent lights.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks @j.w Not very encouraging I know. I had the first plant in the kitchen which has more windows than walls and it's very bright and still wasn't enough.....theses grow lights are supposedly specifically designed for photosynthesis so I have to at least try

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Maybe w/several squished together they will be happier now and take out the rotting parts as they die off.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep and they need oxygen to the roots with moving water .I have some in a stock tank and in a big fish tank .Even if you stir the water up with your hands will help .I have to add water as it evaporates and I put the water in a jug and shake up up real hard before I add some each time .I also add one of those fertilizer spikes.I just use a led bulb at night for 3 or 4 hours
101_2178.JPG
101_2179.JPG

Ask a Question