Can water Hyacinth be winterized?

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants' started by Gemma, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Gemma

j.w I Love my Goldies

I just read this online:

Overwintering Water Hyacinth
    Water hyacinths thrive in warm weather and die if exposed to cold winters. Unless you live within their preferred USDA plant zones, grow them as annuals or overwinter them indoors. If you choose to overwinter water hyacinths indoors, bring them indoors before the first frost date in your region. Put the plants in a tub and set the tub near a window where it can receive at least six hours of sun per day.

and this:

Winter Care: Trying to overwinter water hyacinths in cold regions is usually more hassle than it�s worth. They are cheep enough and grow fast enough during the summer that it is usually easier and more cost effective to buy new ones each spring. If you want to try keep hyacinths over winter they need a warm spot that is brightly lit. A South window is best, but artificial lighting may still be necessary. Fluorescent shop lights 6� above the plants is about right. Some people have reported success by putting a couple inches of compost in the bottom of the container the hyacinths are in. Others actually pot the hyacinths and submerge the pot so the rim is an inch or two below the water surface.

and:

Overwintering Tropical Floating Plants
    Floating tropical marginals like water hyacinth, water lettuce, and salvinia can be overwintered if they have bright natural sunlight or intense artificial light (multiple fluorescent grow lights or metal halides). Water hyacinth seems to like a thin layer of soil in the bottom of its indoor "pond." Liquid fertilizer should be added as needed to keep the floating plants healthy. I have never successfully overwintered these tropical floating plants. They all turn to mush after a few weeks. The lighting has not been strong enough. Some people say that a heated greenhouse is absolutely required to overwinter water hyacinth. I have overwintered salvinia and frogbit in my aquariums under intense fluorescent lights.

j.w, Nov 11, 2017
    Gemma likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Gemma

Gemma

Thanks @j.w Not very encouraging I know. I had the first plant in the kitchen which has more windows than walls and it's very bright and still wasn't enough.....theses grow lights are supposedly specifically designed for photosynthesis so I have to at least try

Gemma, Nov 11, 2017
    j.w likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Gemma

j.w I Love my Goldies

Maybe w/several squished together they will be happier now and take out the rotting parts as they die off.

j.w, Nov 11, 2017
    Gemma likes this.
  4. Gemma

sissy sissy

yep and they need oxygen to the roots with moving water .I have some in a stock tank and in a big fish tank .Even if you stir the water up with your hands will help .I have to add water as it evaporates and I put the water in a jug and shake up up real hard before I add some each time .I also add one of those fertilizer spikes.I just use a led bulb at night for 3 or 4 hours 101_2178.JPG 101_2179.JPG

sissy, Nov 11, 2017
    Gemma likes this.
  5. Gemma

Gemma

I hope so!

Gemma, Nov 14, 2017
  6. Gemma

sissy sissy

I see some mistakes in over wintering .First no tap water use pond water and keep air going for roots .Roots need air and tap water is not good no real nutrients in it .

sissy, Nov 14, 2017
    Gemma and j.w like this.
  7. Gemma

Gemma

I'm using tap water and regularly add Miracle Grow, this is all I am willing to do to try and save these Hyacinths
    Today I actually had to rinse them out under the faucet to free them from the little black snails I had for the first time this year, and are the reason why I decided to try overwintering plants
    while I was washing the roots I noticed white, newly grown roots, I think it's a good sign, so for now I'm still optimist

Gemma, Nov 15, 2017
    j.w likes this.
  8. Gemma

zeuspaul

Is saving seeds an option? Does anyone know how to do it?

zeuspaul, Nov 16, 2017
    Gemma likes this.
  9. Gemma

Gemma

Oh my, I never thought of that! Thank you for the inspiration, I must look into it and see if it could be done

Gemma, Nov 16, 2017
  10. Gemma

sissy sissy

They sell the seeds on ebay but grow them in dirt to start with .Tap water has to much stuff in it that they add to it .Rain water can be caught and used also .

sissy, Nov 16, 2017
    Gemma likes this.
  11. Gemma

j.w I Love my Goldies

If you have well water you should be fine also unless you have arsenic or some awful thing in it but then you would be dead or very ill so no worries :whistle:

j.w, Nov 16, 2017
    Gemma likes this.
  12. Gemma

Gemma

I have well water, it goes through a water softener if I take it from inside the house , the outdoor does not

Gemma, Nov 17, 2017
    j.w likes this.
  13. Gemma

Patfish Ignore the mask and cape

I got seeds from ebay but i couldn't get them to sprout. tried in water, wet napkin, and in dirt. maybe bad seeds?

Patfish, Nov 18, 2017
  14. Gemma

Lisak1

@Patfish I've read a few things about buying seeds on eBay - much of what you get is not what the seller claims it to be. I'm sure there are lots of reputable sellers, but the dishonest ones make it hard for everyone to know the difference.

Lisak1, Dec 2, 2017
    sissy likes this.
  15. Gemma

Gemma

November is gone and my Hyacinths are still doing ok...some leaves rot and new leaves emerge...I love that grow lamp, looks like I might have a shot...thanks Michael for suggesting I try that!
    I love this Forum, so many helpful people :)

Gemma, Dec 3, 2017
  16. Gemma

brokensword Not all those who wander are lost

well hey, hey, hey, what can I say....'you're WELCOME!' musical note-sm.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    brokensword, Dec 3, 2017
    Gemma likes this.
  17. Gemma

Gemma

@brokensword that image of you will be stuck in my head for the rest of my life:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Gemma, Dec 10, 2017
  18. Gemma

brokensword Not all those who wander are lost

:)

brokensword, Dec 10, 2017
    Gemma likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question