cant there be a winter setup for icyponds which aerates & filters inside house?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I'm not sure that you understand what an extremely cold climate is. I consider Japan and China to have quite mild climates.
5 of the coldest cities in the world http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/5-of-the-coldest-cities-in-the-world/70000295
Harbin, Heilongjiang, China
With many of the coldest cities on Earth located in far northern latitudes, brutal arctic air is persistent, plunging normal low temperatures into the double digits below zero.

Whether it's the vast Siberian tundra, the Canadian wilderness or far eastern China, residents in these locales routinely face some of the longest and most challenging winter seasons.

Here are five cities that have some of the coldest winters in the world.
Harbin, Heilongjiang, China

Located in far northeastern China, Harbin is the capital of Heilongjiang province and is home to over 10 million people. Due to its harsh winter climate, the city is often referred to as the “ice city.”

Winter weather is a part of the city’s DNA as each year it hosts the Hardin International Snow and Ice Festival, one of the largest ice festivals in the world.

Normal low temperatures during January range from minus 8 to minus 12 F (minus 22 to minus 24 C). Temperatures as extreme as minus 44 F (minus 42 C) have been recorded during winter in Harbin.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I don't mean for this conversation to get into a "who has the coldest temperatures" discussion.
Whenever somebody thinks that winter pond care should be "cheap and easy with existing DIY equipment on hand", I have read about too many fish deaths that have to do with a misunderstanding around cold temperatures;
I would like to discuss the issue further so that people have the best chance of their fish surviving the winter.

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
geeze all I can say I am glad I live in Virginia .I hate cold cold weather , but I don't want year round heat with storms that some states get either .This is a weird winter even flies and honey bees are out .I saw 3 honey bees today fighting over a dandelion flower .They kept chasing each other away from the flower

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
And you never have had a lady bug invasion and had them bite you .We get the black lady bugs that stink also besides the normal ones .I have never had roach's but we need to watch out for termites .To many companies cutting down trees here and leave the unwanted stuff laying on the ground .I have heard the cutting for the last 2 weeks now

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
As I understand it, China's climate is about as extreme as the US ranging from downright cold in the far north to to subtropical in south. Therefore, it's not a valid comparison to pick something that may be common in the Hong Kong area and apply it to Zone 5 and below.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Please show me a pond in Harbin, China, lol.
i think ur unaware , pond culture started from japan and china , the goldfish originated from china and koi from japan , they have this since thousands of years , very recently this culture came to europe usa etc and its not as much popular as in those places ,,,, in terms of quantity nor in quality

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
As I understand it, China's climate is about as extreme as the US ranging from downright cold in the far north to to subtropical in south. Therefore, it's not a valid comparison to pick something that may be common in the Hong Kong area and apply it to Zone 5 and below.
thats true , neither can b said they are not cold places

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
i think ur unaware , pond culture started from japan and china , the goldfish originated from china and koi from japan , they have this since thousands of years , very recently this culture came to europe usa etc and its not as much popular as in those places ,,,, in terms of quantity nor in quality

I'm quite aware of where ornamental carp came from.
This thread is about winter plumbing setups for ponds.

As I said in my first post, people should focus on sufficient gas exchange setups.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I'm quite aware of where ornamental carp came from.
This thread is about winter plumbing setups for ponds.

As I said in my first post, people should focus on sufficient gas exchange setups.

lol thnx for coming back to topic :) ur the one who deviated questioning about climates and countries which was irrelevant

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
image.jpeg
I filter 2 of my ponds in side this little pump house , i don't have to do much at all For them.
I have been down to 10 deg this year with no ice.
My 2 other ponds froze up

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
lol thnx for coming back to topic :) ur the one who deviated questioning about climates and countries which was irrelevant

I was asking where you were from because it would give me an understanding of what you knew about cold climates, and I could have a discussion with you based on that. You live in a tropical climate, and I wasn't sure what you did or didn't know.
I hope you've learned something that you didn't know before.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
Mount Everest is on the Chinese-Nepal border, and China has trains with pressurised cabins; so that would be pretty cold. Japan like the US, borders on Russia, so areas of Japan away from the kuroshio current are cold as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Okay, you can build a pond in your basement if you want out of a liner and a wooden frame. The editor for koi magazine, an editor a year or two ago, first name Steve, built a pond in the basement and kept his school there for a couple of years. Better have an engineer consult on the construction though. I built a temporary one while we modified our pond and the bolts started pulling through the 2 by4s in a month. Couldn't handle three feet of pressure at the bottom.

Ask a Question