addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks @GBBUDD and @ShawnInfirmity . But I have to confess - I have rearranged rocks every year trying to make it feel just right. Each year, I move less and less rocks, but I always find something that needs changed. Here is a picture from 2004 when I built the pond, and one from last year. :)

View attachment 109322
Like the current view!

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I always appreciate it when people share lessons learned so I thought I would share one of mine. I planted a green mound juniper on the pond hill in 2006 about 4 feet from the edge of the pond. It has done real well and I have had to trim it back quite a bit to keep it from overtaking the flowers and from it going into the pond.
Here is a picture of the juniper in 2015, in the upper left hand corner.
2015-9-01 aerial.JPG

A few years ago I noticed a root in the water, a little bit in front of that juniper. I thought maybe it was a root from the blue flag iris which you can see in the picture is right next to it. Finally last year I really inspected that root (which was now 2 feet long) and it didn't look like the same type of root that were coming from the irises (oh-oh). So this spring I started moving rocks around looking for the source of the root. And of course it is never easy. More rocks had to be moved than I wanted, but I finally found how the root from the juniper got into the pond. Thank goodness the root didn't puncture through the liner, which was my first thought, but instead the root got into a fold in the liner that was buried, then followed that fold out of the dirt up the hill and then down into the water, behind some rocks, and then came out into the pond.
Below in red was the path the root took. Amazing. I just hope I can get that big rock back in place. :)
2018-4-24 juniper roots (3).jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just hope I can get that big rock back in place
I have already made a tripod with a chain fall for just such an event in both building the pond and doing maintenance. it's an easy way to lift heavy object but only lift it straight up but if you placed a plank on an angle you could slide it where you need to go . or better yet to hell where it was make it a new home where it is and move a few more smaller rocks. OOPS I SEE WHERE IT HA TO GO NOW I WAS LOOKING AT THE WRONG ROCK. LOng day You do have a beautiful pond! I'm betting now when I have a ton of maintenance I'll be jealous of the size of your pond.

Last edited:

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That is great that you have made equipment to help move your rocks @GBBUDD . I am in awe of the large rocks you are collecting and wait anxiously to see you build your pond. I have a younger, stronger brother-in-law who is handling that one rock for me. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is great that you have made equipment to help move your rocks @GBBUDD . I am in awe of the large rocks you are collecting and wait anxiously to see you build your pond. I have a younger, stronger brother-in-law who is handling that one rock for me. :)
I told the Mr's her job was to take lots of photos. but she's HARDLY A photo connoisseur we will see.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I know the net detracts from the fish, but I was able to get a picture of them all today. Well, all except a 1" black baby that is in hiding. They range from 8 to 13 years old, and one that is just 2 years.

Fish - 2018-5-22 (2).JPG

Ask a Question