1000 gallon garden pond

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I wonder if this moss will survive the winter. I found the rock with a little moss growing on it, so this spring I put the rock in my falls and the moss has taken off. I love the look and am curious how far it will spread during the summer.
plants - moss 2019-6-10.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I would think if it's shady it should survive and it loves moisture so it will prolly keep growing from rock to rock. It sure looks good there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I wonder if this moss will survive the winter. I found the rock with a little moss growing on it, so this spring I put the rock in my falls and the moss has taken off. I love the look and am curious how far it will spread during the summer.
View attachment 121847
My pond may only be a year old but the moss has survive the winter no problem it seems that moss that has tubular shapes can tolerate more sun if it is kept constantly wet. Fern moss only likes to be lightly splashed, in the shade it is a far deeper green. My favorite so far is sphagnum moss it's a bright green and large it loves the water if it is at the waters edge it will grow both out in into the water, and it loves the sun so long as it is kept wet. pictures to come.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Do you remember last year when I removed a root from the pond? I ended up dealing with an algae bloom that lasted from June until September because of that. The water ranged from light green to pea green soup where I couldn't see the fish. I don't have a lot of places to put more plants, but I did add a rush last year. I held fast and did not add any chemicals and the water did finally clear on its own. And the fish were fine.

Well this year I have been holding my breath waiting for the suspended algae to hit again. So far the water has been crystal clear. .:)
The big difference is I have string algae in my waterfall this year. Last year I had no string algae at all. I will take the string algae instead of the suspended algae any time!

Here is a picture from the end of July last year and this year. First picture, no string algae in the water fall, but green water. Second picture, lots of string algae in the water fall and falls box, water crystal clear.

misc - algae bloom 2018 vs string algae 2019 July 30,23.jpg
s

Ask a Question