1000 gallon garden pond

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thank you @bggenie . The pond is so fun to garden around. It's an ever changing hobby. First the pond was mostly shade due to a tree near by but that tree died and I ended up with all sun so the plants were changed. Now a tree that I planted years ago in the middle of the yard has matured and I am starting to have shade again!

Here is a picture of the flowers behind the pond this summer. Some of them are being changed out to hostas because of the shade.
2019-7-24 back of pond (2).JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Gorgeous flowers @cas ! I remember @JBtheExplorer mentioning something about using wild ginger ( at least that's what I think he mentioned ) as a native alternative to hostas ? I'm going to look into them next Spring, however I have and love my hosta garden and am particularly fond of the Empress Wu hosta.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Such a happy sight :) I really want to take the cover off and get mine up and running , but Mr. P is redoing some of the plumbing.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Such a happy sight :) I really want to take the cover off and get mine up and running , but Mr. P is redoing some of the plumbing.
I can't wait to see your new bog once the plants start to take off.
It's so nice to be able to sit outside by the pond. It does look a little depressing with nothing growing right now but some of the tulips and daffodils are starting to come up.
It doesn't look like I lost any fish either! It's amazing, but once that waterfall is running, the fish come up from the bottom and want to be fed. Water temp still 44 degrees so I am going to make them wait a little longer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Very nice! My pond never froze, either, and the frogs have been hanging around all winter. At one point I counted five Green frogs in the "new" pond (preform) that I've not yet backfilled and connected.

Attachments

• 022620 Two Frogs 036.JPG
    022620 Two Frogs 036.JPG
    261.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 110219 New Pond.jpg
    110219 New Pond.jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 86
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm v very excited to start up the bog. I have wondered if I could start it first, while hubby is working on other plumbing, but since I have no previous experience with it, I've been conservative. We're having above average temps this week, but rainy and cool.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It doesn't look like I lost any fish either! It's amazing, but once that waterfall is running, the fish come up from the bottom and want to be fed. Water temp still 44 degrees so I am going to make them wait a little longer.
My fish have been active the last couple weeks on an off and they have definitely been munching on the rocks, so i have fed them just a little enough for everyone to get a bite or two

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was just out at the pond and low and behold frogs all over the place two nice days close to 65 and we got frogs

Ask a Question