cas's pond

1000 gallon garden pond
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I recently read an interesting article about string algae and suspended algae - the string algae supposedly puts off a chemical that makes it impossible for the single cell to grow. So you'll have one or the other, but never both at the same time.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
So you'll have one or the other, but never both at the same time.
That has been my experience too. I am always jealous of people that have string algae. I usually get the suspended algae. Of the 15 years I have had the pond, 10 of those years I have had the suspended algae - sometimes for a week , sometimes for a couple of weeks. But last year it was a couple of months! My sister's pond always gets the string algae, never the suspended, for 14 years.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do you remember last year when I removed a root from the pond? I ended up dealing with an algae bloom that lasted from June until September because of that. The water ranged from light green to pea green soup where I couldn't see the fish. I don't have a lot of places to put more plants, but I did add a rush last year. I held fast and did not add any chemicals and the water did finally clear on its own. And the fish were fine.

Well this year I have been holding my breath waiting for the suspended algae to hit again. So far the water has been crystal clear. .:)
The big difference is I have string algae in my waterfall this year. Last year I had no string algae at all. I will take the string algae instead of the suspended algae any time!

Here is a picture from the end of July last year and this year. First picture, no string algae in the water fall, but green water. Second picture, lots of string algae in the water fall and falls box, water crystal clear.

View attachment 123115s
I see algae and moss on the rocks, both are sucking nutrients out of the water, way to go!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That has been my experience too. I am always jealous of people that have string algae. I usually get the suspended algae. Of the 15 years I have had the pond, 10 of those years I have had the suspended algae - sometimes for a week , sometimes for a couple of weeks. But last year it was a couple of months! My sister's pond always gets the string algae, never the suspended, for 14 years.

Well that's weird! Something going on there that we'll probably never understand... Nature has her own agenda!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8-b
Country
United States
Teehee.... Right after that picture, I fertilized them! Of course our June was much cooler than usual, so I think the warmer weather in July also helped.
My little pitiful water lily wont grow.......I think im going to re-pot it. I bought clay unscented kitty litter and some osmocote. I bought a started baby one with like 5 stems - pads, planted it in a basket with a little dirt gravel, and some bad fish dug it out, i found it floating across the pond........i buried the roots again, and its still alive, just not growing. I need your secrets!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8-b
Country
United States
I ll take the string algae anyday!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@addy1 is the one with the awesome water lilies! You're on the right path with buying kitty litter to plant it in and osmocote to fertilize it with. Planting mine in kitty litter really helped.
Aww thanks, they are doing good. I just use litter and around 1/4 cup osmocote then don't really touch them all summer. I mean to groom but never do.

This yeloowish one is around 8 inches wide
20190724_130823.jpg

20190724_130323.jpg
20190724_130452.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Your pond is beautiful! Lovely! I had lots of plants in the old pond. In the new pond the koi have eaten every water lily tuber and any that sprouted. Some sort of caterpillar has decimated the water lotus leaves. The koi eat the roots of the ones they can get too. For next year I'll have to look at alternatives. The potted papyrus is growing well in the bog area, unreachable by the koi.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
In the new pond the koi have eaten every water lily tuber
I have been very lucky. My koi haven't gotten that big... maybe 12".... and they leave my plants alone. Of course they do love swimming through the forget-me-nots looking for any food they can find. They also empty the pots of the kitty litter that the water lilies are planted in, but have not up rooted the tubers.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Only have two shubunkin left. They were beautiful, but didn’t seem as hardy as the koi.
I have not loss any in years. In the spring I might find a few tiny ones dead but that is it.

Ask a Question