JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Two weeks ago I got a brand new mattress that I've needed for longer than I'm willing to admit. Last night I pulled back the quilt, laid down and instantly smelled cat pee strongly. I had my bedroom door closed while I was gone yesterday, day so she must've done it before I left, and it was nearly dry when I found it. She's never done anything like this before. I've already sprayed it with a couple different products as well as used a carpet cleaner to try to suck everything out. There's all these chemical smells mixed in so I'm not sure what I even smell anymore, but I'm not convinced the smell gone. I'd like to know if you've dealt with this before and what I should do. I've run out of ideas and honestly I'm just so bummed after finally getting this new mattress. There's no way I can just go and buy another one right now. I spent last night sleeping on the couch. :(

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yes it is and I have had a cat do it on our walls and carpet but thank Heavens not on our bed. We no longer have that cat as the poor thing was taken by a coyote. The one we have now does not do that. I tried everything to get that other cat to stop. I even made a shirt for her,yes it was a her and she sprayed the walls. The shirt did help a lot as I think it helped her feel more secure, kind of like a thunder shirt for dog does.
upload_2017-10-13_15-31-1.jpeg

upload_2017-10-13_15-31-20.jpeg

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
There are several enzymatic cleaners out there that claim to work. Possibly have it professionally cleaned? We just ordered a new Sleep Number mattress with a water proof cover- 3 cats, no pee problems but a puke monster!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The enzymatic cleaners work great. Clean up throw up, pee etc.....

Any specific brands? My biggest fear is not what's on the surface but what's inside the mattress. Since I didn't notice it when it was fresh, I don't know how wet it was and how much actually soaked in.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Gets rid of the smell, the yellow color. I have cleaned up some real messes over the years.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Gets rid of the smell, the yellow color. I have cleaned up some real messes over the years.

I may have to try it. Looks like I'll be spending another night on the couch. or maybe in the camper.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The enzyme eats up the urine, give it a good spray, let it soak in take a towel, soak it up, spray again and let it sit.
No reason you would not be able to sleep on it.

Get a cover, they sell real nice ones, clean mattress, put the cover on, go back to sleeping in your bed.

One of my pups got real sick on whitish carpet, he ate a bunch of fish food at a trout pond, threw up brown stuff and passed out the other end explosive brown stuff. The simple solution removed it totally, back to whitish carpet. No sigh it ever happened. Took a bit of spray, soak, clean cycles to remove it but all gone!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The formula @j.w posted will work. We don’t have cats, but my co-worker does and one of them started peeing on the drapes in her living room, which also soaked the carpet (bad aim - haha). It happened while she was out of town and had a cat sitter, so it was days of pee. Cat revenge. She used the baking soda -vinegar - h2o2 - dish soap combo after trying EVERYTHING and this worked. We’ve used it on skunk odor and dog and human pee - all gone.

On a side note, we had some area rugs sent out to clean and the guy delivered them and warned us to watch the dogs carefully. For whatever reason, they will try to mark a clean rug - even dogs that don’t normally pee inside. Something in the smell of clean that offends them, I guess. Maybe something similar with a new mattress - you offended her cat sensibilities. Animals are weird.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Cats like to claim objects, especially something new! We bought new living room furniture 4 years ago and immediately got slip covers to protect from cat hair and claws. I have one cat who claws up any new rugs that come in the house. Kitty's just saying "MINE"!

Ask a Question