cement in water

Reaction score
hi,
i have just completed the construction of my new pond, which is raised with bricks. The problem is, when pointing around the inside edge, bits of cement kept dropping into the water. What i would like to know, is this dangerous for fish? and is it worth investing in a pond vac to remove before purchasing any fish?
dave.
:lol:

Reaction score
Cement is very alkaline, and thats lethal for fish. Im not sure I understood your completely, but if you made the entire pond of bricks and mortar, then you will have to treat it before you can put fish in it. You have to wash it several times with a strong acid, scrub it, rinse it thoroughly and even then its strongly recommended to apply a coating. Just filling it with water and introducing fish will kill them all for sure.

If I misunderstood, and the pond is made with a liner and just tiny pieces of cement that fell in it from somewhere, pick them up and I doubt it will cause problems.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Can you post a picture it will help us understand what you have there. Welcome to the group too! The cement messes with the ph of your pond, which causes issues with your fish

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Your pond is small for koi and they grow fast ,I have them and no one told me just how fast they grow .They were little guys and gals 6 years ago and 2 of them are now over or around 2 feet long

Reaction score
what I have heard- and makes sense- is that cement that is has been cured for a year or more is fine. A friend from another forum has had cinder blocks in her pond for years without a problem- I expect many people use them as plant supports. But as mentioned above, fresh cement is very dangerous.

Reaction score
I used cement to hold some of the rocks in place when I did my rebuild last fall. I don't believe a little cement is going to do that much damage.:lol:
fallsstart-up11.jpg

Ask a Question