Central Illinois Newbie

Reaction score
Country
United States
Starting the planning stage for a spring build. I have outgrown my indoor tanks and the boss said no more indoors, lol. First question can i put a pond in full sun?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
not only that, but...(lean in closer)...you can...(I gotta whisper this, so no one else gets any more ideas)...you can put in a LARGER one than you think you can! Do I see LPS on the horizon???

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1631899907553.gif
@Fb7782
Where do you live as will the pond get a lot of heat?

Reaction score
Country
United States
not only that, but...(lean in closer)...you can...(I gotta whisper this, so no one else gets any more ideas)...you can put in a LARGER one than you think you can! Do I see LPS on the horizon???
If it is anything like tanks then LPS could be an issue. Lol started with a 10 gallon and was told no more inside @ 2-500 gallons and 3 - 150 gallon tanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If it is anything like tanks then LPS could be an issue. Lol started with a 10 gallon and was told no more inside @ 2-500 gallons and 3 - 150 gallon tanks.
you've got aquariums that are LARGER than a lot of newbie posters already, so you should be good to go for that 5K pond, methinks!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If it's deep like 3ft or more should be ok in full sun but if not you can add a shade sail in the high heat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Build it as big as you can so you dont have to make it bigger later.

Seriously think about filtering exclusively with a maintenance free bog from the get go.
It's the best improvement I've made over the years. Don't waste your money on inadequate high maintenance store bought filters.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We are hot and miserable here. My ponds are all full sun with no issues. I do not shade them at all. Yours will be fine without shade. One of my ponds is 5ish feet deepest, deepest part, others are anywhere from 18 inches to 3 feet.

Welcome to the forum!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Seriously think about filtering exclusively with a maintenance free bog from the get go.
It's the best improvement I've made over the years. Don't waste your money on inadequate high maintenance store bought filters.
see? This is why PJ is prez of the BFC, earning his money every day on the forum! I forgot to mentioin this tidbit but not our beloved Prez! Good on you, PJ!

Ask a Question