Chameleon plant?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Picked up a Chameleon plant cheap last week. Says it like waters edge. I don't know anything about it. Anybody have one in there pond? I just poked it in along some rocks in shallow water. Its only a 4 inch pot. I just set it in there, in the pot, dirt and all for now. Should I just stick it in bare root? And will it over winter out there in zone 5?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
It will grow bare rooted but prefers a media for it's roots to grow in. I have not had any luck getting it to over winter in zone 8, I have my doubts it will over winter that far north, might be best to bring inside right before first frost and keep the soil very damp.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Same here pretty plant but no luck here with it .I planted it in the kitty litter and it did great and then winter came and it was a mild winter and it did not come back .Water never even got ice on it over the winter .I thought the kitty litter would insulate the roots .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Fishin if it didn't overwinter for you I'm sure it wont for me. I guess I will try to bring it inside for the winter. At least it didn't cost me much if it doesn't make it. Hardly ever see any plants for sale around here that are for ponds so I bought it.

Sissy I will try putting it in some kitty litter and into a little bigger pot. Not too much summer left here for it to get growing, another month or so I suppose. Then will bring it in. See if it makes it.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Make sure and leave it in the pond at least until it changes colors, That's when it shows off it's best is in the fall when temps start cooling, Just bring it in before a frost.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
fishin4cars said:
Make sure and leave it in the pond at least until it changes colors, That's when it shows off it's best is in the fall when temps start cooling, Just bring it in before a frost.
Makes me wonder this year when the frost will be here after the strange winter last year and this really strange summer we have had .The coolest and wettest I have seen here .Last year frost did not hit hear until almost December . :question:

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The plant SHOULD be hardy in zones 5 - 9. I've tried it here (zone 5) a few times, sometimes it overwinters, and sometimes it doesn't. You may not want it in your house all winter.... the plant has rather a strong odour that some find nauseating!
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Hmmm never noticed a smell, I will have to check that out. Might just get as far as the garage. :)

Ok fishin will leave it in the pond as long as I can.

Sissy out year has been strange as well only VERY wet spring and dry as a bone here now. Huge cracks in the ground everywhere and hot hot. Haven't mowed the yard for probably a 6 weeks.
I don't have a well. Between the pond and the garden and flowers water bill has been ridiculous. And I have been watering as little as I can get by with.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Picked up a Chameleon plant cheap last week. Says it like waters edge. I don't know anything about it. Anybody have one in there pond? I just poked it in along some rocks in shallow water. Its only a 4 inch pot. I just set it in there, in the pot, dirt and all for now. Should I just stick it in bare root? And will it over winter out there in zone 5?
I float mine in baskets of clay soil

Ask a Question