Chameleon plant ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I live in Wisconsin zone 4, and I'm looking to find any info on wintering chameleon plants that I float on top of my pond, in baskets with a little clay soil. They look and do awesome on top of water in their baskets and can't become invasive as many people have said they do. Does anybody know, What the best way to winter these is or would be. Do I need to bring them in and purchase a grow light ? I don't want to replace them yearly, if I can somehow keep them, Thank You for any info. It's going to freeze tonight or tomr so I need to do something today.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Per this website they are good to zone 5a -28 http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2164/

They might do fine just where they are. If it was my pond I would leave them be, see if they come back next spring. If not then next year you would know you need to protect over winter.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I'm a zone 5 here, and have NEVER had them survive a winter in the pond. However, a lady about 1/4 mile from me has them in her garden (dry), and they have been coming back for years!
John

Reaction score
Plant some in the ground and you will be set for life!!!!! @tbendl , here is how you can put it in your pond also. I still have you as a to do this weekend, hopefully!

Reaction score
Woohoo. No rush Lisaebetten. I have plenty to do this week. I have company coming next week so the rush is on to clean, blah blah blah. :)
Don't worry about cleaning, they won't be able to take their eyes off your pond!!!

Reaction score
I was at lowes this weekend and they have 75% off plants, corkskrew and blue rush $1.20 each! That is in Michigan anyway where it could snow at any moment :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I have been bringing my chameleon plants in and putting them under a grow light over winter., placing In water filled trays in their floating baskets They do die back eventually but come back from root every year.. Then as soon as ice is off pond I refresh the soil & set them back in. This year I'm going to divide them as they are getting huge in their baskets but get many complements on them every year.

Ask a Question