Cicada problems

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just paid a lot of $ to have my pond "cleaned" out by a professional. It was great. THEN came the 17 year cicadas. They were a nightmare - gazillions all over the yard - hitting you in the face - falling down your clothes - climbing onto the table where you were (formerly) trying to eat outside. A TRUE nightmare. They got onto my fishpond net - wiggled thru - dropped into the water - drowned - and rotted on the bottom. I kept cleaning out the dead ones - but the result was I lost my few remaining fish (except for one hardy little girl - "Lucy" - white with a red head. Don't know HOW she has survived. I had 3 nets on top of supports all during the cicada time - but they still managed to get in. HORRIBLE. I am afraid to put too many pond enzymes to try & get the water back to normal. Now we have dead leaves all over the yard - from their depositing their eggs in the outside of the branches. We won't be alive by the next rash of cicadas - but it will be horrible, as this time it was 3x worse than 17 years ago. YUCKAROLA!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You never know yes they are every 17 years but thats for that group. They can come out in groups at different times

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry to hear of all the issues, we saw 3 cicadas. Could hear them in the near by woods none at our house except the 3.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
None here this year. Not one. But I'm sure they will come out sometime in the future.

Ask a Question