clear pond flocculant

Reaction score
well after finishing all the work and planting around my pond there was quite a lot of suspended dirt in the water so i purchased a bottle of INTERPET CLEAR POND, i added the required dose (half direct to the pond and half through the filter) it immediatly coloured all the pond water red !! i added it at 2:30 pm yesterday, went out this morning at 7:00 am and the pond water crystal clear and all the red dye has dissapated, absolutely amazed at how well and fast this stuff has worked, so if anybody else has a problem with suspended dirt i would recomend interpet clear pond. i have now ordered some sludge removing bacteria, will see how well this works !

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
its ok because you haven't got any fish yet but i would be a little worried about using things if you had, some of these things can harm fish ...also much of the time they dont list whats in the bottles .... i wonder if it would have turned your fish red too ? just a thought :0)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was wondering the same thing too and does the bottle say fish safe and can you always believe what you read on some of these bottles as they just want to sell there product .I would look at what is in the product on the manufacturers list of compounds and then look them up to see how safe the product is before you use it in a pond with fish .Remember they are living breathing animals that depend on you 100 %.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I use Rapiclear Flocculent by Crystal Clear If i have a lot of small floating matter .
It makes it clump together and lets the filter collect it easier

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i will elaborate on my last post.....altho my water looks very clear all the time (as you can see from any of my videos) i use the flocculant the day before i pump my water into the basement pond along with the fines filter....water looks as good as the water that comes out of our fawcet.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
when I started this new pond I used crystal clear also as the water got a little dirty because they decided to clear lots here and put up a lot of dust and dry grass was flying every where .I am now in the process of raising the height of my pond by over 6 inches so that means I had to use a boards weighted to lift the bridge 1 side at a time .So far I have gotten 3 sides done and now working on the 4th side and put in another filter and small waterfall on the corner of the pond .One of my waterfalls is done but will not fill the pond to it's new height until I get last side done .I have been thinking about raising it for over a year now and decided it was time since I was going to do a little bigger clean out of the whole pond and rebuild waterfalls to use bigger filters .On the other one I am still going to use a tote just a higher one and this time I am going to double up the tote ,by putting one inside the other .Think that way it may hold up even better and I got a heavier duty one .I never had a leak in the others after 4 years but figure what the heck ,do it .And they where clearanced out for 4 dollars a piece and rubbermaid too . .I bought 8 of them to also store other stuff in my basement

Reaction score
OK..... I'm a little nervous about using a flocculant, but I'd like to clear up my off-colored tannic water a bit before the cross-country relatives come to visit in a couple weeks. Our pond is 1 year old, 6,000 gallons, and doing well except the water doesn't stay as clear as I'd like. We have a UV light running all the time in our pump filterm waterfall, keep up on our bacteria maintenance doses, no algae -- just the water isn't as clear as I'd like to see the fish through. We've got a lot of baby koi and I don't want to add anything that will hurt them; removing them isn't an option.
If it comes to doing nothing for their safety, then it will just stay a bit murkey. Any experiences with using any of these products and the safety of the pond fish? :)

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
If your problem is tannins in the water, using activated carbon in the filter is a much better way to get rid of the colouring. Flocculant is used to cause algae and other very small particles clump together so as to make it easier for a filter to remove them.And above all, make sure toy have a filter capable of trapping the increased load. John

Reaction score
Thanks, John. On closer examination under lights at night, you can see the suspended particles so I doubt that it is entirely tannins - perhaps not even much at all at this point. There is a lot of very fine particles suspended in the water and I'm sure that's causing the murkiness. SO -- going on that, if I use a flocculant, will it be potentially harmful to my baby koi? I'm at the point of trying something, but afraid of doing them harm. I'd rather have the slightly murky water than do something that could be hard on them. We do have a waterfall that can be kept running constantly if it causes any lowering in oxygen in the water. We have a skimmer and filtering system as well, but it's not a bio filter. I would love to have opinions and personal experiences from anyone who has used or does use one, and which one, etc. :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When our pond was murky from the fine pea gravel dust, I just threw together a fishin, doc, skippy type filter, but just used quilt batting between window screening, and some filter pads from lowes, just to catch the fine particles. Ran a low flow pump through it for two days, it cleaned it up beautifully, have not had a murky problem since. That filter creation is sitting with all the other pond stuff if ever needed again pile lol

Ask a Question