Climbingspider's pond

Reaction score
I'm midway through a pond build and thought that I'd share. My wife and I wanted a pond for quite a while to do several things - have a waterfall to compete with traffic noise, give our young daughter (6 months!) a place to explore and splash around in as she grows up, and of course a place for us all to relax in the evenings. We wanted a medium sized pond that fit into our very wild backyard that is completely wooded and frequented by deer, owls, etc. Our original goal was an 11x14' pond with a max of 3' of depth (around 1800 gallons total) that would have lots of plants and some "semi-natural" species of fish (we don't want koi), frogs, turtles, etc. We live in an area where the big spotted salamanders migrate each spring so I'm hoping they'll even make it a home eventually.

Didn't need to put a lot of thought into the location. There was only one spot where we could fit a pond:

yard before pond.jpg

We wanted it right next to our deck. The location is viewable from large windows upstairs and downstairs in addition to the deck and the upstairs enclosed patio - lots of different angles! We also plan for the rockwork and plants to screen the ugly underside of the deck. The main drawback is that we have a very wooded backyard so it might be too shaded and will accumulate a lot of debris. The location receives filtered sun throughout the morning and about 2-3 hours of intense sun in the early afternoon. Hopefully that will support lilies, even if they don't flower much. I planned for an oversized pump and filter to help with the extra bioload from the trees.

The slope was a major challenge and ended up really constraining the build. The total change in elevation across the pond site was ~ 4 feet, great for a natural looking waterfall area, but rough when it came to digging. We had to dig a lot of dirt just to get to the water surface on one side! We eventually added a shallow retaining wall on the downhill side and are still figuring out how to make it look really natural. You can see how we plan to layer rock in front of the paving stone wall and hopefully top it with flagstone or something similar so that the wall becomes a seating area. That gave us an extra ~8 inches of depth but I still had trouble with the uphill side decided to add more terracing to maintain stability - this ate into the size and depth of the pond.

digging the pond.jpg

Because the pond is in a corner, against the deck and the house, the waterfall area is really hard to get too so I decided to build it up as much as possible early in the process. You can see our filter falls in place here. The water will cascade straight out then be pushed right (in the photo) through two small cascades before dumping into the right side of the pond, next to the granite boulder. At this point, I also moved a few boulders to temporary holding spots next to the deck because they were too large to move once the pond was filled.

I like bogs and planned to have to medium-sized ones, but quickly ran out of room. Instead, I'll have three tiny "bogs", each built differently. The bag of pea gravel is in a 6 sq foot depression that will be fed by RO water runoff. I make about 30 gallons of reverse osmosis water each week for my reef tank and I plan for the waste water to feed this bog. Thus it will get really wet each weekend with an influx of 30 gallons, with the excess gradually draining down into the pond. There is a pipe in the lower left that will feed a traditional upflow bog, once plumbed, and a small secondary waterfall back into the pond. The third "bog" is simply a passive bog on the side of the pond.

waterfall prebuild.jpg

You can see the cinder block in the pond digging photo. This is to provide a foundation for "Ruby's rock", a large flat rock that protrudes into the pond to provide a spot for our daughter to lay on her belly and peer straight down into the water (okay it will be a couple of years until she grows enough for this!). This required some planning. The rock was heavy (600 pounds??) and we wanted it suspended right at water level so that fish could swim underneath. There is a concrete foundation under the cinder block and a concrete foundation on the shore to hold the weight. My heroic wife and I managed to maneuver the rock to pond the morning after we added our liner, then disaster. The rock slipped and smashed my thumb. After a trip to the hospital to assure my wife that it wasn't broken, we devised a plan to finish placing the rock by using 2x4s as levers. With help from my sister-in-law and her fiance, we finished the job! I still have to trim away some of the excess padding hanging out from under the rock and I plan to apply concrete to the cinder block to better camouflage it, but I am pleased...

Rubys rock.jpg

Finally, it is time to start filling and adding rock!

initial fill.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks like that was hard work and a bit of a trick getting everything to fit in it's right place but looks like you've fixed it right nicely and now onto the rest of the build. Nice looking big Ruby's rock. Sorry about your poor thumb. Will you be appearing on the tv show Bizarre ER anytime soon? Kind of gruesome and not for the squeamish: http://health.discovery.com/tv/bizarre-er/

Reaction score
I was lucky and the thumb was just bruised. It is already a lot better. If my pond puts me on Bizarre ER it will have to be for some sort of weird parasite...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
gosh glad I am not doing that but great job and remember all that work when you are done .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great job! I built on a slope, can totally understand the issues. Ours (just for the pond) had a 10 foot difference, from the top of the slope to the pond was over 20 feet in drop. Like you said makes a beautiful stream, but what a pita to get a pond level. I ended up digging down 4 feet on the up slope side, and adding over 5 feet of dirt on the down slope side.

Neat you love bogs, so do I, they really help keep your pond nice.

Love the Ruby's rock, so neat.

Glad you thumb was just bruised, I totally smashed mine, broke the bone into little pieces (tip) big ouch.

Reaction score
Addy,

I've use "plant filtration" in freshwater aquaria for years to great success. They are very low maintenance. My main gripe is that each bog will only be large enough for about 3 plants, but I'm still eager to see them finished.

My main concern with the slope now is making sure that all of the rockwork is really stable so that it is safe for a little girl to crawl all over. That thought was always in the back of my head when I was digging the relatively shallow pond but staring at a mound of earth behind me taller than my head. I think that I've got it terraced enough so that I won't have more than 2' of rock piled at any one level.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yeah the hills have their hurdles but they really allow you to have a nice waterfall/stream. Good job.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol I did the jump test on the rocks around the pond and stream set it in place, kept messing with it until I could jump up and down on it without it moving. I have some that are loose, but not an area I climb over and mess with.

Reaction score
Even though the rock work has barely begun, I filled up the pond on friday evening because we are having family over this weekend and a big, dirty hole with water running through it is a lot more attractive than a big, dirty empty hole. It also allowed us to see what the waterfall would look like and check the level.

first pond fill.jpg

The pond looked pretty good. I was happy with the amount of water flowing down the falls - not too much or too little. However, my wife and I decided that the depth of the pond wasn't enough. We have plenty of liner still. So, I decided to add one more course of paver stones on the downshill side of the pond to provide 4 more inches (and another 250-300 gallons). On Saturday I drained the pond and did three things - Jacked up Ruby's rock (literally with a car jack), added the paver stones and excavated the skimmer box to raise it 4 inches too). Everything went pretty smoothly. I'm a little concerned because the sand packed around the face of the skimmer box had a lot of moisture so there could be a leak. I'm hoping it was just the residual moisture in the very wet bag of sand pooling, due to gravity, on the underside of the faceplate, but I probably messed up the installation of the liner by over or undertightening the bolts on the faceplate of the skimmer. Time will tell...

Does anyone know of sites that talk about keeping native fish in ponds (darters, pumkinseeds, etc)? I know that I want several species, mostly smaller but with a few larger fish and it would be pretty easy to catch these, quarantine and treat for parasites, and then add them to the pond. Otherwise, I don't want koi and I'm not that taken with goldfish either. For a while I was thinking about golden orfe because they are natural shaped but colorful enough to show up well. Then I saw an online vidoe and they might be too frenetic and fast moving. I'm close to Trickers so I plan to go see them in person in a week or two.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If your faceplate is leaking, get some of the pl roofing goop, use it to seal. I did that with my skimmer when I installed it. Coated all the edges, the screw heads the whole skimmer, mainly because it was a white swimming pool skimmer and really showed against the black liner. But no leaks.

d8cdacfd-0203-4ec9-9a72-58091d07ec2-1.jpg

This is my skimmer
SP-1085.gif

Neat you are close to trickers I have ordered stuff from them, they always send good quality items.

Ask a Question