Color question

Reaction score
My white one arrived today. The neighbor boys came by today and helped clean the ponds. Their father came too, and took apart the koi pond to get to the spitter filter box. While it was out, one of the boys was taking a video trying to capture the black koi...he did. I also noticed that the orange one's fins were breath taking. The boys are happily naming all of my fish.

Here are the 3 koi getting acquainted while the pond is being cleaned. If anyone takes a look at my fish videos and can home in on the best guess for their colors, I would appreciate it.

I know mine do not compare to what I'm viewing on this site, but I am in love with them, their colors and personality.

Reaction score
Oh please dont degrade your fish, they are BEAUTIFUL!

My GUESSES for two of your fish are...

shiro ogon butterfly... the white one

aka matsuba butterfly... the one with the black body and orange head.... I am NOT sure this fish would be considered correctly colored however. I may be wrong. I think the black is supposed to be a clear pine cone pattern, and not so solid, but I have a fish just like this one (with the blacker back) and I call it a matsuba.

Reaction score
Thank you Cape, I am enjoying them. Getting mighty hooked. When my white was delivered and I was telling my friend of my new pond plans...we both looked at my spa just sitting there with 400 gallons of water.....uh oh....um no! at least not yet :ideacyclops:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
You ladies are hilarious! Yep, you can use anything to hold water and to flow from one area to another, I guess an unused spa would work wonderfully. LOL
I'd say the black one with orange head (BTW, I have 3 that are identical to it, one more yellow than orange but two others spitting image of that one) is a Matsuba, but hoping others will chime in with their opinions. The black one is very unique. Has white and red on it, too, but beautiful long tails. The pure white one I would call a Platinum Ogon, as it seems to have a metallic shine to it. Beautiful butterfly, too! In the end, they are all very pretty fish. How deep is your water? Looks pretty shallow, but see you are in CA, so if you have shade, they probably are fine. Do you feed them? My koi all come out to be fed, never hide (well, I have one or two that don't care about being fed yet ...) and are easy to watch. Sometimes they swim back and forth, hard to get a clear pic, though. The longer you have the fish, the friendlier they will become. :) Thanks for sharing the videos. Sounds like you have some good help with the fish! It was sooo adorable how your neighbor boy was excited but very calm and patient when he caught the black one on video! He did an awesome job keeping the camera on it, too.

Reaction score
CE, I didnt think Platinum, because it didnt look shiney to me... it looked more flat in color for lack of a better word, that is why I was thinking Shiro (aka white) and not platinum??? Attaching two pics... the big white butterfly in the thumb nail is "Lady" which I think is the same color as the one we are discussing, and attaching a pic of the platinum we bought this year as a baby...

53.jpg

Attachments

• lady2.jpg
    lady2.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 176
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yep, you are correct, Cape. I saw some shininess in the white one in the video. My White Gin Rin with yellow on the head looks really shiny because of the Gin Rin scales, but some that are referred to as Platinum look just as shiny, depending on the lightening of the photo. :) So, if the scales are not metallic, then it would be referred to simply as Shiro, which means white. I get it! Learning as I go. Thanks for the pointers.

Ask a Question