Combining algae and sludge products??

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
There are about 10 fish in the pond! They are quite vigorous and healthy looking. Most are small right now as something (racoon?) got into the pond last year and stole most of our larger ones. We were down to 5 or 6 fish but they're multiplying!

Hi Jenn ... Fish in the pond ... Then I wouldn't use both at once. I'd use one to start. The string algae depletes oxygen in the pond. You might want to tackle that first. Do you have a UV in the system? A UV won't help string algae but it will help with the algae that creates that green water tinge. I'm not big on using algaecides to clear up the problem due to the stress it might put on the fish but I attached a link below. If you have to use it, use it carefully so the fish aren't in a cloud of it that you pour in. Removing phosphates might be good route with a phosphate remover which since untested, it must be high. Also, not to be used together. Definitely want to tackle some of the string algae manually too. Biggest thing when fairly cleaned up would be to find the cause.

String Algae Removal ....
http://pondplace.com/controllingstringalgae.aspx

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I think the problem is there is no filter!

Like I said there is a skimmer box but the waterfall just looks like a big blue rain barrel with no actual filter inside. I'll have to pull all the rocks away and look more closely. If there is some sort of filter in there I'm certain the media needs replacing by now. If not, is there a waterfall filter I can purchase to fit inside what I have?

I'll get better pics but here are a few I had in my phone from last winter so you can see a little what I'm taking about. As you can see my cat enjoys it in summer!

Nice pics from the distance !!! Looks good !!! Certainly worth fixing up ....

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Simple answer to your original question....If you have fish, do not use both products at the same time. It would likely cause a catastrophic drop in Oxygen levels.
After viewing the photos, the waterfall does appear to maybe be a biofalls filter. Some manufacturers, like Savio, utilize the 'barrel' shape. Need to check if it has media in it though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Good advice. I'll take a closer look at the waterfall on the next decent day outside.

I used a rake to remove the string algae yesterday and got quite a bit! I don't have too much floating algae as I can see the fish and the bottom. More concerning is the sludge at the bottom. I'll tackle that first since the algae is ugly but pretty harmless.

This is a pic from last week just as the algae mountain started forming lol.

Attachments

• 20160308_165205.jpg
    20160308_165205.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 374
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That is a lovely shade of green - just in time for St. Patrick's Day! I would start with addressing your filtration question before adding anything the pond. The fish are healthy - they don't mind the algae. Resolving the problem without chemicals will ensure that you won't cause them any issues.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Lovely indeed!

Filtration is definitely something I need to check out.

I'm more concerned with getting the sludge off the bottom. The next day I have time I plan to add the aeration and check out the filters if they even exist!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I am a little baffled as to why many of the comments have focused on the filtration (or lack of) in this pond. All that bio-filtration will do is convert Ammonia into a nutrient (Nitrate) that algae will use for growth. There is obviously enough nutrients in this pond's water. If this is without filtration, a working biofilter will only exacerbate the algae problem.
I am not saying that bio-filtration is unimportant because it surely is, but it is not pertinent to this pond's problem. The underlying nutrient levels, however, are.

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I am a little baffled as to why many of the comments have focused on the filtration (or lack of) in this pond. All that bio-filtration will do is convert Ammonia into a nutrient (Nitrate) that algae will use for growth. There is obviously enough nutrients in this pond's water. If this is without filtration, a working biofilter will only exacerbate the algae problem.
I am not saying that bio-filtration is unimportant because it surely is, but it is not pertinent to this pond's problem. The underlying nutrient levels, however, are.
Agreed. Freshwater algal blooms occur when there is a combination of suitable environmental conditions - including elevated levels of nutrients, such as phosphorus and nitrogen in their bioavailable, soluble form.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Good advice. I'll take a closer look at the waterfall on the next decent day outside.

I used a rake to remove the string algae yesterday and got quite a bit! I don't have too much floating algae as I can see the fish and the bottom. More concerning is the sludge at the bottom. I'll tackle that first since the algae is ugly but pretty harmless.

That's a great looking pond, Jenn.
I don't see anywhere for the excess nutrients to go, though.
Do you have plans to increase the plant population?

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hi Jenn812. Nice pond! Is your pump running now? I would not use either product unless you have the pump running.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
All algae including 'string' algae supply a pond with Oxygen.There are no algae species that deplete Oxygen.

Many things I've read over the years has said string algae depletes the pond of oxygen. Even large natural ponds overtaken by large amounts of string algae show an oxygen depletion, no? . Also, haven't I read at night, oxygen is depleted by algae and plants do to lack of photosynthesis. So, if string algae was out of control, would there not be a heavier oxygen completion?

I copied and pasted a piece ... I'm willing to live and learn and haven't had a serious algae or oxygen problem in the 2 decades of ponding. I know what your field is @Meyer Jordan, so I'm not disputing, just asking. Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States

You weren't kidding! Nice color green though ... lol ...

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Many things I've read over the years has said string algae depletes the pond of oxygen. Even large natural ponds overtaken by large amounts of string algae show an oxygen depletion, no? . Also, haven't I read at night, oxygen is depleted by algae and plants do to lack of photosynthesis. So, if string algae was out of control, would there not be a heavier oxygen completion?

I copied and pasted a piece ... I'm willing to live and learn and haven't had a serious algae or oxygen problem in the 2 decades of ponding. I know what your field is @Meyer Jordan, so I'm not disputing, just asking. Thanks

Algae will only severely impact the DO level in a pond if it is dead and decaying.
Yes, at night a certain amount of Oxygen is utilized by algae and submerged plants. Compared to the amount of Oxygen produced during daylight hours, this usage is really minuscule especially as concerns algae. If a pond is having an issue with low DO, it is not the algae or the plants causing it. Also keep in mind that DO levels have to get quite low (<4 mg/L for fish and <2 mg/L for nitrifying bacteria) to cause a problem.

Ask a Question