Combining algae and sludge products??

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Algae will only severely impact the DO level in a pond if it is dead and decaying.
Yes, at night a certain amount of Oxygen is utilized by algae and submerged plants. Compared to the amount of Oxygen produced during daylight hours, this usage is really minuscule especially as concerns algae. If a pond is having an issue with low DO, it is not the algae or the plants causing it. Also keep in mind that DO levels have to get quite low (<4 mg/L for fish and <2 mg/L for nitrifying bacteria) to cause a problem.
Thank you ....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
That's a great looking pond, Jenn.
I don't see anywhere for the excess nutrients to go, though.
Do you have plans to increase the plant population?

I added 2 lilies last year. I believe they should grow back this year? What plants do you suggest?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Hi Jenn812. Nice pond! Is your pump running now? I would not use either product unless you have the pump running.

The only time the pump has been off was for about 2 days this winter when the pond was frozen

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I added 2 lilies last year. I believe they should grow back this year? What plants do you suggest?

Your climate and my climate are night and day, so I don't know what works in your area, but if you added some appropriate plants to your pond, they would help reduce the available nutrients for algae.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Your climate and my climate are night and day, so I don't know what works in your area, but if you added some appropriate plants to your pond, they would help reduce the available nutrients for algae.

I see you are in Alberta! My brother lives in Cold Lake, AB. I actually grew up in Newfoundland but I have lived here for about 10 years.

I'll have to do some research about pond plants in my zone.

Anyone know what might work in zone 6?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
So I inspected the "waterfall" a little more closely today. There is no filter media. It is essentially a barrel turned upside down with the side cut and bent to form a spout for the waterfall.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
So I inspected the "waterfall" a little more closely today. There is no filter media. It is essentially a barrel turned upside down with the side cut and bent to form a spout for the waterfall.

I consider that good news, Jenn.
You've found a weakness in your filtration system that can be fixed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I consider that good news, Jenn.
You've found a weakness in your filtration system that can be fixed.

What do you suggest doing about it? Adding media to the barrel or replacing the waterfall setup?
It might be hard to add media to the barrel since it does not have a removable top.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Last year, I fought my thick string algae, pea green soup pond with Algae D-solv with tremendous success. I have 14 large Koi. The pond cleared in less than a week. I treated weekly with a maintenance dose. I have a 5000 gal rubber liner pond. My spring cleaning this year left me with a clean situation. I use Algae D-Solv weekly to control algae. My pond is mostly in shade, which helps. The key is to use vigorous aeration due to the demand on oxygen. I’m not having a sludge problem. Your pond looks like a good one. Good luck on bringing it back to life.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Summrbrz - I'm glad this product worked for you, but like with any algae killing product I'd use caution. By the molecular structure this appears to use the action of chlorine as the algae killer - not necessarily great for fish. And while it may not kill your fish (especially the big guys) it will kill other smaller life forms in the pond.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Also to add to @Lisak1 advice, @Summrbrz, yes the product works, but you are just continually treating the symptom, without addressing the cause, excess nutrients.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Last year, I fought my thick string algae, pea green soup pond with Algae D-solv with tremendous success. I have 14 large Koi. The pond cleared in less than a week. I treated weekly with a maintenance dose. I have a 5000 gal rubber liner pond. My spring cleaning this year left me with a clean situation. I use Algae D-Solv weekly to control algae. My pond is mostly in shade, which helps. The key is to use vigorous aeration due to the demand on oxygen. I’m not having a sludge problem. Your pond looks like a good one. Good luck on bringing it back to life.
Kit 3.gif
@Summrbrz
No chems in my pond, thank you!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Also to add to @Lisak1 advice, @Summrbrz, yes the product works, but you are just continually treating the symptom, without addressing the cause, excess nutrients.
Perhaps. Haven’t treated it pretty much since this post on June 23rd. Pond remains crystal clear.. Koi appear happy and healthy. This is good.

Ask a Question