comets or fantails?

Doctor mcboy

hes dead jim
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
this spring i am going to stock my pond with fish. there is only frogs in there now. i am going to buy some goldfish about 10 and a few shunbunkins . what is a better Goldie to go with the shuns comet or fantail. also i can get some trapdoor snails at the same time will they survive in a outdoor pond?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My trap doors are doing great, got some almost the size of a golf ball. See babies all of the time tiny little things. They live birth.

I have mainly shubunkins, some gold fish, the fan tails are in the hot tub pond. I had some in my 1000 gallon pond, with shubunkins, forgot to fix the net, the heron got them, nice big mature ones. They do swim slower.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
what is a better Goldie to go with the shuns comet or fantail?
Per TheGoldFishTank.com: " Shubunkins should not be kept with slower-swimming tank mates, as they will out-compete them for food." Maybe someone on this forum has experience to say otherwise, but I don't think I'd put slower swimming fantails with shubunkins.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My fantails did fine with the shubunkins. I tend to not feed, there is plenty of plant material in the pond. I had 6 in with around 20ish shubunkins until the heron hit. The heron took the fantails and my biggest shubunkins, around 10 inches or so. The tank is 1000 gallons, the water is on a constant flow through, it comes from the pump and waterfalls back into the big pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Per TheGoldFishTank.com: " Shubunkins should not be kept with slower-swimming tank mates, as they will out-compete them for food." Maybe someone on this forum has experience to say otherwise, but I don't think I'd put slower swimming fantails with shubunkins.
I started out with about 14 goldfish, of which 2 were fantails. They did fine with the shubbies and comets. There's always something to eat and if you're worried, just wait until the herd gets the first throw of food and then target wherever your fantails are with the next toss. Pretty hard for shubbies and comets to take the new food when their mouth is full already.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
They do just fine. We've always had a few fantails in with our other fish - they definitely hold their own.

Ask a Question