Concrete better, even for a huge pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
i can tell you my pond will be dug in one day to, not alone :). i dont consider it a "huge" task for a 1 to 3 thousand gallon pond.

You need to read his original pond post - he was proposing a pond that was 10 feet deep on one end. Way more than 1-3000 gallons. If I remember he eventually reduced it to 6 or 7 feet, but it was still a big dig. And the whole mystery was the big rush he was in to get it dug and done in one day.

Have you ever dug a pond @DutchMuch ?

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You need to read his original pond post - he was proposing a pond that was 10 feet deep on one end. Way more than 1-3000 gallons. If I remember he eventually reduced it to 6 or 7 feet, but it was still a big dig. And the whole mystery was the big rush he was in to get it dug and done in one day.

I dont think i would of said that if i hadnt @Lisak1
btw im not the Best at math when it comes to converting size to gallons On The Spot sorry

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Gotcha - when you said your pond WILL be dug in one day. I assumed you were referring to a future pond, not one you already had.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I assumed you were referring to a future pond, not one you already had.
We Will have another pond, 30+ft long about 5 feet deep. Rainbow trout.
The one i previously had is back in the fayetteville house in GA just a small 10ft x 10ft pond
Who said you are limited to having one pond a lifetime?

Reaction score
Country
Azerbaijan

That pond i shared pictures of is 8 ft deep at the deepest. When you people said "a 10 ft deep wall without a support will eventually collapse" i considered reducing the depth but when i talked to local diggers , and engineers i was told that the rocks here were so hardy and i wouldn't have any problems. So i decided to make it 10 ft deep but then at the end of the day we could go 8 ft and we stopped. I would pay a lot more if i wanted to keep going the next day.

I don't know why you are acting so offensive and suspicious. I haven't ever offended you, have i? But let me tell you why i was in a hurry. We Middle Eastern's people don't have everything you have. There was another digging near my village. So i wouldn't have to pay extra 500 bucks to bring the excavator to my village. Because it is a long drive. So i wanted to use advantage of it being nearby, and i actually did so.

Reaction score
Country
Azerbaijan
Hi Waterlilly. Welcome back to GPF. It sounds like you are very industrious. Is this pond going to be in Azerbaijan the country you listed when you joined GPF? It's very interesting. I don't know a lot about that country but it seems that some of the land there does not not get a lot of rain. If you don't mind me asking a few questions...Where will you be getting the water? Also i was just curious if you are close to the mountains? Also are you from the US originally? It seems like you have an excellent command of English.

Thanks for your kind questions sir. Happy to answer.

Yes, indeed. I am from Azerbaijan. I have tap water and well water here. But well water provides about 500-1000 gals a day, which means not much help for filling a huge pond. Tap water is fine but 1 dollar for 1000 liters. Not cheap really. I am from a high elevation but i would call it a pluto more than mountains.

Wow, it was flattering to hear that. No, i am not from the USA. I just lived there for a year.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't know why you are acting so offensive and suspicious

Sorry if you were offended. It just seemed odd that you would ask for opinions and then say you didn't have time to stick around and read them - that was the suspicious part. And from what I remember, everyone was pretty good natured about the whole situation.

Your explanation makes sense, although I would still give anyone who asked the same answer about going that deep with a pond - reinforce. It sounds like you got advice from someone with experience excavating in your terrain, so that's good. But I would still advise that people consult with local building codes - what works in one area may not work in another.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey, everyone here is more than willing to help, but we may need to catch up on what your situation is.
:cautious:
@WaterLilly, @MitchM speaks for me as well. Some people are offended when we ask questions, but our questions aren't intended in that way. We ask questions in order to get a better idea of what's going on in your particular situation -- the more information we have, the better able we are to help you. In your location, you have different climate conditions than most of us are used to dealing with. You also probably have way different soil. And you probably have different equipment available to you as well as a different infrastructure.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Considering the fact that he lives in a very dry area he may have to also consider the evaporation rate he will encounter with any pond built .May have to consider a smaller pond to see how anything would hold up to it

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Considering the fact that he lives in a very dry area he may have to also consider the evaporation rate he will encounter with any pond built .May have to consider a smaller pond to see how anything would hold up to it
True, but apparently his other pond went well.... Wasn't there a pic he posted of that? I have evaporation issues, and I live in the hot, himid South, where water for top-offs isn't an issue.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
even humidity can cause evaporation .It is hot and humid here I can loose an inch or 2 a day .In the early morning with the cool nights being around 50 degrees and days in mid to high 80's I get a fog coming off my pond in the morning .During July and August we get very little rain and really hot sunny days .

Ask a Question