Considering a 24 inch garden pond...need opinions please.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Oops, sorry pics so huge! As you can see it's a small container, the height is only 14 inches high. Pardon the "dog proofing" - LOL !

I stuck the plants in baskets with kitty litter and Osamacote, some stuff is free floating, plugged in a small pump and did absolutely nothing else !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Ahh! So you already have a fence around it. So why not just leave the fence and maybe put a piece of Plexiglas on top and plastic sheeting around the sides and you're good to go for the winter. If you fear this "greenhouse" effect won't keep the plants warm enough, wrap the pot with something to provide insulation. Or maybe add an old filament style light bulb for heat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Or get some help to drag the pot inside and keep it somewhere it will get enough light.
That pot would be nice if it had wheels. Maybe you can get a round dolly to permanently keep it on. I've seen round dollies used for large garbage cans.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I should have thought about putting it on wheels before I filled it with water. We don't get a lot of sun inside our home and we don't have a walk out basement either. The biggest problem with bringing it inside, besides the fact that it's kind of big to sit in the family room, is our dogs ...there is zero chance they'll leave it alone, hence the ugly fencing around in now :(

I'm leaning towards covering it and keeping the small pump circulating and see what happens over the winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
IMAG1321.jpg
How about a picture of your newfoundlands? Our dog is a lab and newfie mix. She's not as large and a little less hairy!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I tried bringing my patio pond inside the first year in an attempt to overwinter my plants - it was largely unsuccessful and a big pain. My plants survived, but they did not thrive. They were actually pretty good up until the last few weeks when they started to fail fast. Like you, I don't have a spot with a lot of sunshine, but they were in a southern exposure window. By the time I could finally get them outside again, they were really, really sad looking and it took most of the early summer for them to recuperate. They didn't really look really good again until the season was almost over. Plus the spitter was too splashy (I had a couple of goldfish in mine, too) the aerator was too noisy and in general it just didn't belong inside.

So there's my review on that experience! I decided the few dollars I spent on new plants every year was well worth it. And the last few years I've actually just moved a few things from the big pond once the plants get started, so I only need to buy one or two things to add. I overwinter the lily in the big pond, which is simple, pull some of the parrot's feather, dig up some of the dwarf cattails and obedient plant, buy one big plant and it's a tiny pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@Lisak1 completely agree with you on bringing it inside. I tried parrots feather in a ball jar last winter , it kind of lived, but then died just before pond season :( Maybe I'll put the pretty pink lily in the bottom of my pond and pull it out for the deck pond next year. I think a small garden for my plants would be lovely, but truthfully have some other projects going on, so it could be a pipe dream.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Tula, Piper is gorgeous! You have 3! Wow! That's a lot of brushing!
Our dog (Delilah) is a great dog. She loves the attention when being brushed and she's so docile.
Our daughter has a lab that's 9 years old and still has the crazy energy she had as a pup.

Sorry....let's get back on topic....

Ask a Question