Considering UV filter after massive algae

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I know this is a common thought process, opinion, attitude & feeling. I am a proponent of adding beneficial bacteria on a regular basis. I alternate powdered dry & active liquid on a weekly basis. (Muckbuster dry & Microblift Pro, if we want to get specific) It's how I was 'taught to pond' by the Aquascape Pros. It's been a while, but it's always worked for me.

When my water quality/clarity is seeming to deteriorate during the hot summer months, I double up on the BB & it seems to me that things get clearer. Perhaps it's just 'wishful thinking' on my part? Maybe... And, I'm not one to throw money away, but I've witnessed the difference. (OK, it could be happy coincidence. I'm not one to rock the boat on serious potential of benefit)

At the end of the day, all that matters is that we are happy with our own ponds. However they are set up or maintained.

I've always leaned in to what Meyer Jordan has posted, re beneficial bacteria;

I totally believe that adding bacteria out of a bottle to a mature pond is a waste of money as the pond already has the bacteria it needs. And if you have patience, a new pond will gain what it needs as well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
as the pond already has the bacteria it needs.

Some smart person somewhere could surely test backyard ponds for the types of bacteria that are present. And then experiment with adding beneficial bacteria and see what happens. Can you increase the amount or variety of the bacteria present with the addition of these "supplements"?

I mean, I take a probiotic every day, which is just me adding good bacteria to my (VERY MATURE!) system, right? But the value is supposed to be in adding specific, varied bacteria to combat that which is lost through poor diet, medications, chemicals in the environment, etc. Having a biome with a diverse population of bacteria is the goal. I read an article about this topic a few years ago. Researchers studied the bacteria that was in the waste of this tribe of people who had had minimal contact with the outside world, still ate their primitive diet, no drugs, etc etc. and found they had hundreds of types of bacteria present in their guts. (Maybe it was thousands or millions - I don't remember the specifics.) But what I do remember is they compared that to the average American who has THREE. Just THREE types of bacteria in our guts thanks to the overuse of antibiotics, poor diet, too many chemicals in our food and water. This is why we can be so easily over run by things like C-Diff because the few types of bacteria aren't enough to fight back.

WELL - that was a tangent if I ever saw one! Something I often think about. Sorry to hijack your algae thread @anthony21078 .

Thank you all for coming to my PoopTalk. :poop:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Some smart person somewhere could surely test backyard ponds for the types of bacteria that are present. And then experiment with adding beneficial bacteria and see what happens. Can you increase the amount or variety of the bacteria present with the addition of these "supplements"?

I mean, I take a probiotic every day, which is just me adding good bacteria to my (VERY MATURE!) system, right? But the value is supposed to be in adding specific, varied bacteria to combat that which is lost through poor diet, medications, chemicals in the environment, etc. Having a biome with a diverse population of bacteria is the goal. I read an article about this topic a few years ago. Researchers studied the bacteria that was in the waste of this tribe of people who had had minimal contact with the outside world, still ate their primitive diet, no drugs, etc etc. and found they had hundreds of types of bacteria present in their guts. (Maybe it was thousands or millions - I don't remember the specifics.) But what I do remember is they compared that to the average American who has THREE. Just THREE types of bacteria in our guts thanks to the overuse of antibiotics, poor diet, too many chemicals in our food and water. This is why we can be so easily over run by things like C-Diff because the few types of bacteria aren't enough to fight back.

WELL - that was a tangent if I ever saw one! Something I often think about. Sorry to hijack your algae thread @anthony21078 .

Thank you all for coming to my PoopTalk. :poop:
your ideas aren't as 'crappy' as you think, Lisa; my son got me to reconsider what I eat and I figured I was young enough to maybe create a change such that I would have a better quality of 'old age' as well as be less of a burden to him, so I gave it a shot. It's amazing how what you used to eat doesn't have complete control over your taste buds, once you switch over and have a little patience (sorta like ponding, hey?). I'm a firm believer in that eating a whole food plant based diet can eliminate 70-80% of all cancers.

Okay, hijack #2 has ended; sending you back to your regularly scheduled program now (I bet most of you can remember that lil tv message!)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hijack #3 — If anyone has has an “infection” of C. diff (Clostridium difficile), that is the perfect example of an extremely virulent bacteria taking over after antibiotics wiped out all the good gut bacteria!

Ask a Question