Need help identifying algae! Please!

I have something strange going on here in Portland in my 800 gallon water feature. It is this strange algae that grows on everything like a brown rubber. I do not know how to killl it and need help. It traps bubbles under it while growing.
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Great to hear back from you cody.
I'm interested in hearing how your pond develops after the ionizer is taken off line.
Are you also running a UV clarifier?
Any chemical treatments or activated carbon in the filter system?
I will definitely keep you posted. No, I am not running a UV clarifier. There is no chemical
or activated carbon in the filter system. Just several different sizes of screen/bio material and matalla matting.
The plan at the moment is that I am going to spray down everything with H202 one more time, let sit for a few hours, spray down with water, pump out water, clean all filtration media really well then refill with pond water from the big healthy pond. thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Thanks.
Are you performing any water tests? (ammonia, KH, GH, nitrate, phosphate)
It would be helpful to know the results as soon as possible after the ionizer is unplugged.
We might be able to predict what the algae situation will be in the near future.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thanks.
Are you performing any water tests? (ammonia, KH, GH, nitrate, phosphate)
It would be helpful to know the results as soon as possible after the ionizer is unplugged.
We might be able to predict what the algae situation will be in the near future.
The pond is currently empty. At what point should I perform a water test after filling up?

thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I wasn't aware you emptied it.
How long ago was it emptied?
Yes, I emptied it around 1 week ago. After emptying, I sprayed everything down with 3% h202, hosed
everything down with a high pressure nozzle and removed all remaining water. Nearly all of the unknown substance
came off all of the boulders. It definitely does not like hydrogen peroxide. It was sizzling loud enough to hear it from 15 feet away or so.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
One more thing I failed to mention before was that the water seemed to simultaneously get murky and green
while the substance began to develop on the rocks over the course of a few weeks. This would happen each time after an empty/scrub/refill cycle.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
The big pond has been amazing. It only ever has very light algae, nearly no debris build up anywhere, super clear water, zero smell anywhere (including debris off the bottom) and a whole thriving population of different life forms. I do run a cooper ionizer on this one as well but it is on a very low setting and there is 21,000 gallons of water in it.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Test results. Nitrite and nitrate 0, ammonia 0, ph 7.6, gh 125, kh 100
Work on cycling the pond, then algae will come down in large portions, right now you have no nitrifying bacteria it seems.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My small pond with the problem does not have a lot of plants that are thriving at this point. My large pond has a ton of thriving large plants

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
When you refill this time use water from a source other than your big pond. Since you have no fish in this small pond there is no concern for 'cycling' as there will be no fish to produce Ammonia.
You have nothing to lose by making this change and I think you will see different results.

Ask a Question