Container Pond Build

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys

we recently built a container pond and added a cool water feature to it. Hope you love it! Very new to this all and am excited though to finally have a pond

Attachments

• 1AC76C10-43A1-46D1-BE65-A7573BD29879.jpeg
    1AC76C10-43A1-46D1-BE65-A7573BD29879.jpeg
    284.4 KB · Views: 167
  • 1A5BE84C-1B42-44C3-BC49-24195B4F63C6.jpeg
    1A5BE84C-1B42-44C3-BC49-24195B4F63C6.jpeg
    308.5 KB · Views: 149
  • 05F59FA2-C6CB-4DC1-A5A6-0FF7372EC65F.jpeg
    05F59FA2-C6CB-4DC1-A5A6-0FF7372EC65F.jpeg
    319.7 KB · Views: 207
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I had not noticed in your other post how creative you were in delivering the water to your feature. That's really very cool how you used that jug to "pour" the water! Awesome job!

I do have a couple concerns though, and I regret to bring them up...

The galvanized metal pan may not be the best choice of material since galvanizing contains zinc which can be harmful to fish.

The other concern is that you mentioned a koi. Koi grow very large and very fast. Your feature doesn't appear to be anywhere close to the size needed to house a koi. It is said that you need at least 1,000 gallons for your first koi and somewhere around 250-300 on top of that for each additional koi. Just picture a 24"-36" fish trying to swim in there. It couldn't even turn around.

Sorry to be blunt, and I dont mean to be disrespectful or pick on you. Your dilemma is a common one. This subject comes up all the time. I was a victim of this when I was new at this too. About 12+ years ago I started out with a 300 gallon pond. It quickly became way too small for my 3 koi. I had to build a larger pond. I didn't mind though, I like this hobby and I'm enjoying my larger pond!

Just to give you an idea how fast koi grow, I have a koi that was an offspring and in the beginning of Spring he was about 3"-4" long and now, about a little over 3 months later, he is around 10" long and is much thicker too. I have one koi that's probably 8 years old and she is close to 36" long. She's tremendous!

Well, enjoy and if you really love this hobby, you'll probably be like the rest of us and start building a bigger pond! I never heard of anyone building a smaller one!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had not noticed in your other post how creative you were in delivering the water to your feature. That's really very cool how you used that jug to "pour" the water! Awesome job!

I do have a couple concerns though, and I regret to bring them up...

The galvanized metal pan may not be the best choice of material since galvanizing contains zinc which can be harmful to fish.

The other concern is that you mentioned a koi. Koi grow very large and very fast. Your feature doesn't appear to be anywhere close to the size needed to house a koi. It is said that you need at least 1,000 gallons for your first koi and somewhere around 250-300 on top of that for each additional koi. Just picture a 24"-36" fish trying to swim in there. It couldn't even turn around.

Sorry to be blunt, and I dont mean to be disrespectful or pick on you. Your dilemma is a common one. This subject comes up all the time. I was a victim of this when I was new at this too. About 12+ years ago I started out with a 300 gallon pond. It quickly became way too small for my 3 koi. I had to build a larger pond. I didn't mind though, I like this hobby and I'm enjoying my larger pond!

Just to give you an idea how fast koi grow, I have a koi that was an offspring and in the beginning of Spring he was about 3"-4" long and now, about a little over 3 months later, he is around 10" long and is much thicker too. I have one koi that's probably 8 years old and she is close to 36" long. She's tremendous!

Well, enjoy and if you really love this hobby, you'll probably be like the rest of us and start building a bigger pond! I never heard of anyone building a smaller one!
Thank you for the feedback. I truly appreciate it because we are learning! I am weary of the koi too but we have a backup plan as a very close friend has a large pond we will move him too when he gets big. He is currently 3” big. In regards to the zinc, don’t worry we realized that really quick too. We ended up having to redo the whole tank and add pond liner inside. If you look closely on the last pic you can see it there

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thank you for the feedback. I truly appreciate it because we are learning! I am weary of the koi too but we have a backup plan as a very close friend has a large pond we will move him too when he gets big. He is currently 3” big. In regards to the zinc, don’t worry we realized that really quick too. We ended up having to redo the whole tank and add pond liner inside. If you look closely on the last pic you can see it there
We all learn a lot in the beginning and even experienced ponders are still learning!

I'm glad you have a place to rehome your koi if need be.

I wish the places that sell koi would be more informative when selling them. As I said this comes up all the time.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice love the pitcher pouring water.

Ask a Question