Inground pool to pond conversion

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi
I have an old pool I'd like to convert. I love this YouTube set up and have made a connection with the people involved and now I'd like to read your experiences.
My pool it an old diving pool. I'd like to add some cinderblocks or old milk crates, or some other media to make it a bit shallower. I probably won't have many if any fish. Lots of predators and I kind of enjoy watching the hawks and other animals. I've also seen heron in the area and I'm not into providing them with tasty koi. It will be mostly a water garden for local wildlife but with intent. Any suggestions. What's your experience?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It is done over and over again when people find pools not to be of use .Good luck and hope you can post as you change yours

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Waternapps Welcome! I, too, was recently wondering about a pool to pond conversion.

Can you post some pictures of your pool and the surrounding landscape? I think we would all like to see what you have to work with.....and then watch it as it transforms! Sounds exciting!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'd like to add some cinderblocks
Lets say you have a 8 foot deep pool and you have a bottom drain. Well I would look at getting some 2 to 3 foot tall boulders at minimum and stack them in a circle maybe place some flat relatively flat rocks on top like 4 foot by 4 foot or larger making caves below. this is great for the fish to hide from predators and a good place for them to winter. mean while it gets your pool to a shallower depth that your looking for it will look soooooooo much better then a stack of cinder blocks. and give you hours and hours of enjoyment. the disadvantage is if you ever need to catch one of your fish, good luck.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lets say you have a 8 foot deep pool and you have a bottom drain. Well I would look at getting some 2 to 3 foot tall boulders at minimum and stack them in a circle maybe place some flat relatively flat rocks on top like 4 foot by 4 foot or larger making caves below. this is great for the fish to hide from predators and a good place for them to winter. mean while it gets your pool to a shallower depth that your looking for it will look soooooooo much better then a stack of cinder blocks. and give you hours and hours of enjoyment. the disadvantage is if you ever need to catch one of your fish, good luck.
The boulders do sound like a great idea. I've been running a few scenarios in my mind one which involved adding gravel to the bottom of the pool. I've ruled that one out because of possible anaerobic activity in deep gravel. I'll upload photos and explain more of what I'm facing.

Reaction score
Country
United States
20170320_133216.jpg
Here is a panoramic shot from the patio.

Reaction score
Country
United States
pool inside of fence.jpg
The pool drained in all of its glory. It's a kidney bean shaped design probably built in the 70's. There's a lot of history that led me and the pool to this point, but today it is all mine. I'd like to make it more exciting and interesting. It holds water and I know it needs new equipment so If I spend the money, I'd like to have some life in this thing. Right now it's partially filled (not this pic) with lots of turtles, frogs etc. The local wildlife drinks from it and the hawks and other birds enjoy it. I've been thinking about making it a more natural swim pond with a few native fish and plants. Maybe then I'll buy one of those dive thingy's and explore in my own backyard. My pool would go from 4 months to 10 or 12 months of enjoyment.
So I'm finding lots of pushback from the pool folks in this area. This type of thing as you guys know isn't new, but folks are slow to change. There's one company that does this sort of thing but they do zoo installation type stuff and my pennies ain't worth their time. As soon as the heat subsides I plan to start and tackle this in phases.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3?
Country
Canada
Nice future pond. I would add bog on left side 12 to 18 inches deep with a grid about 30 percent size of current pond. Also add some shelves with cinder blocks in pool and your golden. Let it run into pool and if you want to swim it needs to be size of the current pool typically. Youtube swimming ponds and air pumps plenty of these in germany. P

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
underwater VIDEO WITH LARGE BOULDERS that could be quite the finish product I should have looked for a new home with a pool and converted.

Ask a Question