Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2017-9-21_13-8-30.gif

@unfiltered
What a fun idea!
I can't wait to see this project when all done and w/fish in there :)

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I like the solutions that you have come up with, I think it will look impressive when done. The only issue I see with the pool filter is that the media probably removes to fine a particle and would require constant cleaning. If you agree you could probably come up with a solution for that.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United States
I like your project, I'm looking forward to seeing it when it's done
just a thought as for a filter. this would require a little extra work but might work well
if you boxed in your transom area, IE cut out the bottom and build a wall against the front portion inside the boat
then raise the rear transom to the height of your sides, you could then fill it with lava rock and pea gravel or bio balls and turn it into a bio filter. put piping in the bottom like for a bog and pump the water into it so it flows up and overflows back into the boat over the transom front wall, you could even make a cut in the middle so it would act like a waterfall
I hope that makes sense

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like the solutions that you have come up with, I think it will look impressive when done. The only issue I see with the pool filter is that the media probably removes to fine a particle and would require constant cleaning. If you agree you could probably come up with a solution for that.

My plan was really to use the old pool filter as a pump. I do not need to put anything in the canister. I figured I had it laying around and it was good enough for a 2' x 15' pool so, it should do the trick to draw more than enough water into the bio filter box I will be building.

The second coat of 4 or 5 of rubberized pond paint is on. She is looking good!

Attachments

• Liner.jpg
    Liner.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 2,154

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow what a difference the rubberized paint makes! Coming together quite nicely :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
OK... I need some filter help! I have two ideas below. They both involve using a small pool filter to serve as a pump and a DIY bio box filter with spillway back into the pond.

Option 1) 1.5" bulkhead fitting through the back of the boat nearest the bottom of the boat.

Option 2) 1.5" bulkhead fitting through the back of the boat about midway between the bottom and the waterline.

Option 3) 1.5" bulkhead fitting through the back of the boat near the waterline

Option 4) (MY FAVORITE) The boat will have a "shelf" on the back where the bio box will sit. This "shelf is almost even with the waterline. Mount a pool skimmer under the "shelf" at the back, cutting an access hole through the shelf to get to the skimmer basket. The skimmer box would then be connected to the filter pump via 1.5" bulkhead fitting.

Thoughts?

IPA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It's kind of hard to imagine all of this in my head but I'd go with the one that is your favorite. Did you mention that the bio box will be inside a shell of crab pots? re you using a pool skimmer or pond skimmer? I think pool skimmer can work just as well in your case, and another option is a Oasis AquaSkim, the same type of weir design as the Helix pond skimmer, just in pond instead of in a box.

d8a2fb339f.jpg

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
If i understand right, the skimmer is at the stern and the filterbox/return is also at the stern. Better to have the skimmer at the bow of the boat, otherwise the pond isn't going to have much in the way of circulation. You could probably mount it under the bow and cut a hole in the top deck of the bow to access it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
More progress and a slight change of plans. I went out to the local Home Depot and pool supply store to look for bulkhead fittings, pool skimmer box and other supplies I needed to plumb and make the filter box. I was striking out so, I broke down and went to a pond supply store. While talking to the guy working there I had a change of mind and just broke down and bought a new filter, pump and skimmer and needed hoses and fittings. I wound up buying:

- Biosmart 10000 bio filter (50% off!)
- AquaMax Eco Premium 3000 cage pump (20% off!)
- AquaSkim 40 adjustable surface skimmer

Although I spent way more than I ever wanted to I think I made the right decision. As far as I can tell and from the help at the store these units are much more than I need for my application and will allow expansion if I wanted to in the future.

All of the rubberized paint has been applied with the exception of a small part that I needed to seal with foam/caulk. I have reinstalled the "shelf" at the back of the boat where the filter will sit. I have mocked-up everything and I think it should all work out well. The only thing is I may have to trim the height of the skimmer but, won't know until the boat is in the ground, leveled and filled. The goal is to hide the filter inside a lobster or crab trap. If not we will make our own out of pallet wood and netting for the same feel.

I am very excited to get the hole dug and the boat in the ground.

Attachments

• 20171004_162244_1507148665298_resized.jpg
    20171004_162244_1507148665298_resized.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 428
  • 20171004_162250_1507148664345_resized.jpg
    20171004_162250_1507148664345_resized.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 396
  • 20171004_162301_1507148663124_resized.jpg
    20171004_162301_1507148663124_resized.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 428
Reaction score
Country
United States
It's kind of hard to imagine all of this in my head but I'd go with the one that is your favorite. Did you mention that the bio box will be inside a shell of crab pots? re you using a pool skimmer or pond skimmer? I think pool skimmer can work just as well in your case, and another option is a Oasis AquaSkim, the same type of weir design as the Helix pond skimmer, just in pond instead of in a box.

d8a2fb339f.jpg
IPA, this is exactly the same setup I went with. Just seemed to make more sense in the long run.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow, it's really coming together and looks so professionally done. (y)

Ha! I don't know about that but, thank you. Time will tell. If it is like any other project I start there is plenty of room for it to go to hell quickly. LOL

IPA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Ha! I don't know about that but, thank you. Time will tell. If it is like any other project I start there is plenty of room for it to go to hell quickly. LOL
I know exactly what you mean. I am going to invest in an aquaskim, for the money they seem like a great option for smaller ponds under several hundred gallons.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Very neat idea! It's looking great, can't wait to see it when your done.

By the way, I have an above ground stock tank/pond (live in northeast ohio) and I use a pond de-ice or stock tank heater and I haven't had any ice form during the winter at all. I do cover the top of the tank as well and I think that helps a lot.

Ask a Question