20200425_162307.jpg

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
looking good, your trying to dig in Clay comment made me laugh. Feel your pain, when digging in dirt that doesn’t want to come out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Nice! You guys don't fool around!
I don't see the slits (or holes), are they facing down? Some people face them down, some face them up.
Wise choice by using flex PVC from your pump. That stuff is indestructible.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Nice! You guys don't fool around!
I don't see the slits (or holes), are they facing down? Some people face them down, some face them up.
Wise choice by using flex PVC from your pump. That stuff is indestructible.
Slits are facing down

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Guess I wasn’t sure what to expect, but wasn’t expecting as much surface water as there is on top of the bog. The back end doesn’t have water above the gravel, but middle forward does. So your bog have a fairly swift current running through them? I kept reading on here that you want the water to move slowly through the bog. Maybe slowly is just a relative term...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry i lost this blog.
I love the look of the bog water right up to the top of the timbers However. rubber alone with absolutely nothing to draw the water other then a fold in the rubber can wick water up as much as
1 1/2" thus losing water. i couldn't believe it when i found it in my bog. To be honest with you i would add another row of 4x4 and lift the rubber to that level.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I know the feeling. I'm 62 and it took me a while to build mine. I don't have the stamina I used to after being retired for 2-1/2 years. In a way I was lucky because we had a lot of rain and it gave me time to heal! Plus, the rain filled the bog, so I didn't have to add any water.
Don't worry, the water will clear up. There was probably a lot of sediment in the gravel which flowed into the pond. Mine clouded up right a way. The cloudiness cleared in a couple days and by 6 days I could see the 3 foot bottom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Sorry i lost this blog.
I love the look of the bog water right up to the top of the timbers However. rubber alone with absolutely nothing to draw the water other then a fold in the rubber can wick water up as much as
1 1/2" thus losing water. i couldn't believe it when i found it in my bog. To be honest with you i would add another row of 4x4 and lift the rubber to that level.
Whoa! Good catch GBBUDD! I didn't notice that! Indeed, add another course of 4x4's. Easily done. Especially since you haven't capped the liner with anything yet. You have plenty of liner too.

I built mine even higher above the gravel. Probably too high! I just stacked stones up on the gravel to hide the vertical liner.
20200521_140616.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sorry i lost this blog.
I don’t understand. What do you mean by “absolutely nothing to draw the water other than a fold in the rubber”?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I know dosry5 is not going to like me jumping in this late in the game but it is so much easier to do now. though i know you want to say we are done but. i am affraid at that level there will be issues. Also do not pull the liner tight let there be a little slack so as things settle they don't pull on the rubber.
Good luck

The rubber folder over it's self making a little over lap on it's self is like a straw but no one is sucking on it . it's like a sponge if it touches the water it pulls the water up. I know it sounds impossible but the rubber can do the same water is an amazing thing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
For get the rubber wicking . DEAD plants will wick water and as the bog fills with roots and sediments the water will have to surface take the path of least resistance. Take my word for it mother nature will find a way out at that level.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I know dosry5 is not going to like me jumping in this late in the game but it is so much easier to do now. though i know you want to say we are done but. i am affraid at that level there will be issues. Also do not pull the liner tight let there be a little slack so as things settle they don't pull on the rubber.
Good luck

The rubber folder over it's self making a little over lap on it's self is like a straw but no one is sucking on it . it's like a sponge if it touches the water it pulls the water up. I know it sounds impossible but the rubber can do the same water is an amazing thing.
So adding another row of timbers is just to keep the water from wicking up the folds and out of the bog over the sides? Is that what you’re meaning? Sorry, I’m slow! I can add a row no problem, that’s why I got the liner so big. I’m assuming it can wait until tomorrow? Or should I shut the pump off for the night until I can add the row?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes i was hoping you didn't cut the liner. 4" above water level is ideal

Ask a Question