could/should I add a bog?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
OK, now you can rest a bit, you deserve it! I know how it feels. It took me a while. Dig for one day, rest for two.
It is suggested that you need at least 12" of pea gravel. It's ok if it's more, just not less than 12".
So, you'll dig down about 8-1/2", more if you like, add that to the first course of 4x4 (actual 3-1/2") will give you the 12".
You're gonna love it when you see your water clear up day by day. Mine was clear in about 6 days. Before that, it was pea soup.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
OK, now you can rest a bit, you deserve it! I know how it feels. It took me a while. Dig for one day, rest for two.
It is suggested that you need at least 12" of pea gravel. It's ok if it's more, just not less than 12".
So, you'll dig down about 8-1/2", more if you like, add that to the first course of 4x4 (actual 3-1/2") will give you the 12".
You're gonna love it when you see your water clear up day by day. Mine was clear in about 6 days. Before that, it was pea soup.
Man I hope so! I’ve never seen the bottom of my pond. I’d be thrilled to see half way down.
I had a ton of pea gravel delivered yesterday and I know I’m gonna need more. Anybody want to come scoop it off my driveway and bring it to the bog? I’ll supply the shovels, wagon, and aspirin.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lol I used my tractor, We pushed 3 wheel barrels of it down the bog, done........................ took the tractor and carefully drove on the liner and dumped loads of pea gravel, 38000 lbs of it. Also did not wash it. Started to and quit, it was a drought and we are on a well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Ha! All the great stories!
I used 3 cu. Yards in my bog.
Three loads with my pickup truck.
I wheel barrowed it from the driveway to the back yard. I could only fill the wheel barrow half way. I tried it full, but it was heavy, hard to rinse and hard to pour over the wall and into the bog.
I rinsed each wheel Barrow load as much as I could.
When I started up the bog, it clouded the pond water. The cloudiness cleared up in a couple days and I could see the bottom in 6 days.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You know what’s fun about digging in the solid clay after a night of storms? NOTHING! I even broke my tamper trying flatten the bottom.

4CC4A981-B516-4F75-8A3F-60728296EBFC.jpeg
364A7CC2-5D8F-459C-8845-0C675863F0A5.jpeg
544ECD10-0628-4734-800F-FE7FACC4D991.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thanks for the pictures!
I know what you mean about the clay soil. The good thing is that when it's packed and settled, it is hard as rock. No shifting or settling.
That's the perfect flat stone for the waterfall!
I think I see some construction foam under it. Are you going to have your liners under that stone? Hope so.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks for the pictures!
I know what you mean about the clay soil. The good thing is that when it's packed and settled, it is hard as rock. No shifting or settling.
That's the perfect flat stone for the waterfall!
I think I see some construction foam under it. Are you going to have your liners under that stone? Hope so.
That foam was just to soften a spot where some concrete stuck out. Rock is over the top of the liner for sure

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Any reason I can’t also put bio balls from the waterfall box in the bog? I just know I need more gravel and they would help take up space....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Great to have extra helping hands!
You guys are gettin' it done!
Bio balls...I can't see it hurting. What are they made of? Are they a material that won't get crushed by the gravel?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Great to have extra helping hands!
You guys are gettin' it done!
Bio balls...I can't see it hurting. What are they made of? Are they a material that won't get crushed by the gravel?
Hard plastic spheres. I can’t see the gravel crushing them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
The liner looks extra long. Better too long than too short. I'm a retired electrician. When we ran wires, we had a saying... better to be looking at it than looking for it.
Make sure to leave enough liner for good overlap by the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Gettin' alone nicely.
Cut slits across your pvc pipe every inch or inch and a half. Cut them 1/3 through the PVC. Plumb your pump hose to the far side of the bog. You can do a clean-out stack opposite the pump connection if you like. Cover with gravel and fire up you pump.

Ask a Question