Crazy idea for intake bay

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I was just brainstorming and I have an idea that could either be good or terrible. I was thinking it could be useful to put some sort of filter pad on top of the exposed water matrix block (Aquablock) to act as a pre filter. Of course, that would look bad and would need to be disguised with something. A bunch of rocks would be a pain in the butt to deal with. What if a person used sheets of the pebbles used as "tile" in bathrooms? Mounted on mesh. I don't know if the mesh or the glue would be fish safe. Or permanent over time. But I can envision it. Instead of a bag of big rocks over the aqua block, cut a piece of matala pad or other filter media (ideally not blue or anything bright.) Then cover with sheets of pebble tile. When it came time to clean, you just remove the pebble sheets, then the pad and hose it off -- like in a skimmer. Then replace it all. It probably wouldn't work. But if Greg Wittstock made it, I'd probably buy it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
pebble front.png

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think you will regret it. We thought we were brilliant for using layers of landscape fabric in our downflow bog - that stuff clogged up so fast and was a constant source of annoyance until we dug it all up and tore it all out. Algae and debris will clog a filter pad so fast - it'll need constant cleaning.

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
I was just brainstorming and I have an idea that could either be good or terrible. I was thinking it could be useful to put some sort of filter pad on top of the exposed water matrix block (Aquablock) to act as a pre filter. Of course, that would look bad and would need to be disguised with something. A bunch of rocks would be a pain in the butt to deal with. What if a person used sheets of the pebbles used as "tile" in bathrooms? Mounted on mesh. I don't know if the mesh or the glue would be fish safe. Or permanent over time. But I can envision it. Instead of a bag of big rocks over the aqua block, cut a piece of matala pad or other filter media (ideally not blue or anything bright.) Then cover with sheets of pebble tile. When it came time to clean, you just remove the pebble sheets, then the pad and hose it off -- like in a skimmer. Then replace it all. It probably wouldn't work. But if Greg Wittstock made it, I'd probably buy it!
I saw an Atlantis Water Garden video where they did use Matala pads on top of an intake bay, so it's not such a crazy idea! I suppose you could test it easily enough and see how often it needs to be cleaned.

I was thinking of using those pebble tiles to hide the lid of my home-made pump vault, and will do so if I can find some locally. It sounds like it could work as a cover for a Matala pad.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I think you will regret it. We thought we were brilliant for using layers of landscape fabric in our downflow bog - that stuff clogged up so fast and was a constant source of annoyance until we dug it all up and tore it all out. Algae and debris will clog a filter pad so fast - it'll need constant cleaning.
I was thinking since the big debris floats in the intake bay and gets scooped out, it would only be the algae and gunky slime -- like the stuff that I hose out of my matala pads in my Helix skimmer. That isn't too bad of a job. I don't know that I would ever actually do it - but it was just an idea that crossed my mind. I think I would always be too worried that there would be something in it that would harm the fish.

Ask a Question