Creating a pond in my backyard

Reaction score
I have a pretty big backyard that my family and i have been putting a lot of work into over the years, gardening and such. I've always wanted to add a pond, but until now i couldn't decide a place. We have this cement rectangle that has been used as a flower bed over the years. Its about 6-7 feet long and 3-4 feet wide.

I began digging out the soil to see if it has a shallow bottom and it does not. I got about 4 feet down without hitting anything. So i'm thinking I can dig out the soil, add some pond liner, load it up with some aquatic plants and boom! I've got myself a pond.

However, one obstacle would be filtration. I dont have an outdoor electrical outlet so I'm not sure if I can power a pump. I have an interesting idea i want to put out there. I've been a fish keeper for a while now and I've discovered that certain fish can thrive in stagnant cold water by getting oxygen from the air. In particular, I'm thinking of paradise fish and dojo loaches. Both of these fish are known to be very hardy and in nature they eat mosquito larve, so they could help keep the mosquito population to a minimum. The pond would be well planted so I'm thinking the plants will provide some sort of filtration. I'd imagine I'd have to bring the fish indoors in the winter, but I have tanks that can take care of that.

So, is a stagnant planted pond possible? or will the water just become disgusting fairly quickly? If not possible, is there anyway to go about powering a pump without an outdoor outlet?

thanks!

Reaction score
Personally, I would not do what you're describing. What you will end up with is a stagnant breeding ground for mosquitos that will end up being a stinky, green mess and you won't even be able to see those fish after a few weeks.

There's always a way to run electricity to a pond. Either that, or move the pond closer to the house where you will have access to it.

Reaction score
I wouldn't let the lack of electricity keep you from putting in a pond. You'd be amazed at what a good electrician can do regarding getting power from point "a to point b". ..... for them .... "it's a piece of cake"!

Reaction score
exactly! They trench in a conduit pipe under the ground and you've got power. It really isn't terribly expensive to do unless the pond is super far from the main source of electricity.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
It is very easy to do yourself and if you do it right, an electrician can make the final connection and save you the money for materials and labor to dig the trench. You want to use the grey PVC with sweeps. Home Depot can help you select the materials.

Ask a Question