Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
fishin4cars said:
Have to ask where it's being used, If using in the TT I would consider using Lava rock. really cheap and can be gotten from Lowes, home depot and most landscaping companies and nurseries. Pipe will work but it has a lot of void space in it and can trap stuff in the pipe in some cases depending on the flow, if there is a slow trickle of water Lava rock would probably work better IMO.
Some in the SKIPPY, as well as some in the TT. I have all different sizes, but mostly 1/2" and 3/4" and they're mostly about 1" long -- as I said, lots of scrap pieces that I didn't want to throw away. For those, when I need to cut, I use a ratcheting cutter. Very quick and easy.

Most of my media is Matala, some bio-balls (and have more on order), and stuff like cut up soaker hose pieces. I have some lava rock, but have been hesitant to use it due to mixed opinions regarding "clogging." But I guess that would be an issue with just about any media, to some degree.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used lava rock in one of my filters in arizona, 4x4 feet of it in one of those sq plastic wire framed things. It worked fine for over 6 years, just an occasional back flush done to it.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
addy1 said:
I used lava rock in one of my filters in arizona, 4x4 feet of it in one of those sq plastic wire framed things. It worked fine for over 6 years, just an occasional back flush done to it.
See, that's one of the things I like about this forum....Mr. Google says NOT to do something, but you guys, based on experience, confirm that it's OK! :)

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I used to use lava rock. Built a 55 barrel filter with it for a lady and showed her how to back flush it. She never did. Later I spent hours emptying and cleaning that same filter. Had it been plastic media of some sort it would have been a lot easier. When I moved my barrel I switched it from lava rock to plastic. The moral is that it is ok if you keep it clean and never have to move it.

Want to try lavarock in a trickle tower made from soda crates when I get some time. That way you can unstack the tower and rinse the media. Used to be a youtube vid of that some place.

pile-of-plastic-soda-crates.jpg

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
That's a very well made video. The use of lava rock is good too, because the filter comes apart in sections and the rock can be dealt with in small sections at a time. I still don't think lava rock is very ideal bio-media though as it's obvious that once it gets a good coating on it the porous nature of the lava rock is nullified. Still, it's lighter than regular rock and cheaper than manufactured bio-media.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Agreed it is a great video and a very simple quick to make filter. Need to collect some more plastic soda crates.

What happens in the winter when the temperature goes below freezing ? Thinking that would be trouble so I suppose one just turns it off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
One huge advantage of plastic is the weight. I divided my media between three mesh laundry bags for each filter. This makes it incredibly easy to clean when I want to... I can just pull out one bag at a time, hose it down and replace it, without completely destroying the bacteria cultures in the entire filter. In the Winter, I can pull the media out of a filter and drop in a large heater (I keep my water running all year, even though the filters obviously don't do much in the Winter).

My first pond had lava rock in the filter, and while it was cheap and effective, I'm going to stick with plastic from now on, simply because of how easy it is to pull the whole filter apart if I need to.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Dave 54 said:
The old fashioned ladies hair rollers make a good media, as do those plastic scouring pads ( the round ones ) I've heard of people using cut up plastic milk bottles and use those .
As long as it doesnt leach out anything nasty plastic wise, isnt brittle then you can most probably use it it can as a bio media but check first you dont wish to poison or harm your fish some recycled plastics do this because of what they have been made upout of ..

rgrds

Dave
After I read your post I happened to be in the dollar store so I bought several hair rollers for my pond.. My husband think I'm crazy lol.

Ask a Question