CW's Back Yard Water Garden Begins!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@bagsmom, @brokensword: I can see that I made a big mistake posting that example image. I went back and bolded the important part of that post for clarity: DISREGARD EVERYTHING ABOUT THAT DESIGN EXCEPT FOR THE WATER LEVEL.

If I were a little less lazy, I'd draw my own example.

The bog will be Aquascape style wetland. I'm sure you've seen it a million times on Youtube. Here's the Aquascape promo video. A DIY version is described in detail here.

That is the design of my bog/wetland filter.

@brokensword: Are you saying that, because the water level will be over the top of the substrate that water percolating up through the bog won't percolate up at the back, and all will just migrate forward? I don't think that's necessarily correct (or different from channeling issues in an elevated bog), but maybe that's not what you're saying.

In any case, I've seen a number of Team Aquascape videos where they build just like what I am proposing—a wetland within the pond. Maybe I'll try to call up Ed Beaulieu and see if he'll talk to me about it. :)

I'm saying it's more efficient to force the water through the gravel and not give it such an easy way forward. I'm sure it works, but the way you're proposing also limits what you can plant in water deeper than 2". IMO, more benefits to you and the pond if you elevate 6" and let gravity pull it back down; aeration, less chance of surface algae, unlimited marginal options, easier to 'thin' when necessary, no way for the fish to get 'lost', and you even get a waterfall, if you finish the edge right!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is your design your yard your way. There is no right or wrong. But ask anyone who has had a pond what are the top 5 to owning a pond. After the fish and pond . The waterfall ,stream and bubbles running down the stream lights and the wildlife your missing 3 of these.
And there is only one thing b enter then falling asleep to the sounds of a waterfall, and that's waking up to it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ah. Weather is turning nice, work is slowing down a bit Pond is now empty again (kinda sad...) so I can get back to work.

Funny thing here: I did a lot precise measuring and calculations to estimate the total volume of the pond so that I could properly size the intake bay and wetland filter. With no rock in the pond at all, I was estimating 11,000 gal.

Well, I bought a utility pump to empty the pond and, after reading the pump curve, estimating head loss and timing how long it took to drain, it might only be 6000 - 7500! What I should have done is time a 5 gal bucket fill while draining. That would have given me a much more accurate base to estimate off of. Oh well. Didn't think of it in the moment. It'll probably rain again soon, though, so I'll have another chance.

Both of those numbers are estimates, of course. I wonder which one is closer to correct. Bought a little hose-end digital water meter so that I can measure actual volume when doing the initial fill. Will be interesting to see. In any case, I've sized all the important stuff for the larger estimate, so no risk of being undersized.

Maybe I'll wait until I actually fill it to buy the pump since a few thousand gal/hr costs a lot of energy and I don't want to go overboard there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Two ways to consider, empty the pond buy a end of the garden house meter to read how many gallons you put in the pond. I know it can get painful to dump rain water and replace it just to know how many gallons your pond is but it can become more than critical at times to know EXACTLY how many gallons you have.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond sizes are all estimates, but never worried about it, I don't treat the fish don't add chemicals.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My pond sizes are all estimates, but never worried about it, I don't treat the fish don't add chemicals.

I don't plan to do that, either. I am just laser focused on getting the smallest pump that will be the right size for the pond to reduce long-term energy consumption. Electric rates are pretty cheap here, but I have solar and find it a fun game trying to reduce our consumption to match our production and be net zero from the grid.

Then I get ideas like adding a pond pump. Maybe I can convince my wife to stop using her hair dryer. Ha! Come on, honey! It's for the pond!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Maybe I can convince my wife to stop using her hair dryer
Good luck! I don't use one, not long enough hair, wash and dry done............

We have solar, usually get a refund from the electric company produce more than we use. Don't even notice the pond pumps usage when I turn it back on in the spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don't plan to do that, either. I am just laser focused on getting the smallest pump that will be the right size for the pond to reduce long-term energy consumption. Electric rates are pretty cheap here, but I have solar and find it a fun game trying to reduce our consumption to match our production and be net zero from the grid.

Then I get ideas like adding a pond pump. Maybe I can convince my wife to stop using her hair dryer. Ha! Come on, honey! It's for the pond!
problem is, you're never going to get it that exact. The moment your pump gets some debris across the inlet openings, your flow is reduced. Then there's the accuracy of calculating head pressure from all your pipe and fittings. Plus, the outflow of any pump is calculated without any load/pipe attached. Here's one tip; put in an adaptor that fits the outlet of your pump that is twice the size, then T off (or Y) then reduce back down to give you two lines. Your pump will now operate more efficiently and push more water than if you'd just gone with the manufactured outlet size and one pipe!

If you're planning for X flow over your falls and Y flow to filtration, they're already compromised. I'd definitely get a close approximation and then make sure my pump is over rated re gph. And the more water you have, the less critical, imo, is the turnover rate. I used to pump 4K gph for 2500 gallons and now I have 2 x 4k pumps for 7K gallons. Plus, using more than one pump gives you redundancy in case one dies on you, which of course will happen when you least want it to.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
problem is, you're never going to get it that exact. The moment your pump gets some debris across the inlet openings, your flow is reduced. Then there's the accuracy of calculating head pressure from all your pipe and fittings. Plus, the outflow of any pump is calculated without any load/pipe attached. Here's one tip; put in an adaptor that fits the outlet of your pump that is twice the size, then T off (or Y) then reduce back down to give you two lines. Your pump will now operate more efficiently and push more water than if you'd just gone with the manufactured outlet size and one pipe!

If you're planning for X flow over your falls and Y flow to filtration, they're already compromised. I'd definitely get a close approximation and then make sure my pump is over rated re gph. And the more water you have, the less critical, imo, is the turnover rate. I used to pump 4K gph for 2500 gallons and now I have 2 x 4k pumps for 7K gallons. Plus, using more than one pump gives you redundancy in case one dies on you, which of course will happen when you least want it to.

These are all good points. I’m planning to run 3” plumbing everywhere (so long as I can find it locally) to basically nullify head loss from plumbing.

I’ve considered running 2 pumps both for redundancy and it seems that 2x pumps at 0.5x desired flow rate is more energy efficient than 1x pump at 1x desired flow.

Question: I am planning to run external pumps. All the YouTube videos I watch where the pros use external pumps, they still use a pump vault. Why is this? What is the point of the vault if it’s not housing a pump?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
These are all good points. I’m planning to run 3” plumbing everywhere (so long as I can find it locally) to basically nullify head loss from plumbing.

I’ve considered running 2 pumps both for redundancy and it seems that 2x pumps at 0.5x desired flow rate is more energy efficient than 1x pump at 1x desired flow.

Question: I am planning to run external pumps. All the YouTube videos I watch where the pros use external pumps, they still use a pump vault. Why is this? What is the point of the vault if it’s not housing a pump?
I can't help with externals as I've only owned submersibles. Maybe @addy1 knows?

There'll still be head pressure loss with 3", though less, and the point was you can't get it really accurate without a lot of fancy testing equipment, but I admire your will to try! I've learned to just overdo by 10% and usually, I'm safe!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I can't help with externals as I've only owned submersibles. Maybe @addy1 knows?

There'll still be head pressure loss with 3", though less, and the point was you can't get it really accurate without a lot of fancy testing equipment, but I admire your will to try! I've learned to just overdo by 10% and usually, I'm safe!

Overdo by 10% absolutely. But I’d like to avoid overdoing by 200%. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good luck! I don't use one, not long enough hair, wash and dry done............

We have solar, usually get a refund from the electric company produce more than we use. Don't even notice the pond pumps usage when I turn it back on in the spring.
You have enough solar to run your ponds?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You have enough solar to run your ponds?
Our roof is covered with solar panels. Years ago it was offered as a free install to help our electric company meet the % of green they had to be. We pay for the electric being generated, at a lower rate than our power company. We usually generate more than we use, therefore we get a rebate from the power company. Our bill is usually, mid summer, around $160 plus minus, full solar hitting them, but that is giving us credits to use when the panels are covered with snow, cloudy etc. Mid winter our bill is like around $40, we heat with propane, small ventless stove. Works great.

Very seldom do we get hit with a electric company bill.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, here's an interesting development!

Pulled up the liner + underlayment in the bog area to do some more excavation and discovered a bunch of mole holes/tracks in the earth (I assume moles). One small area is 40" below grade, and there was a tunnel track AT THE BOTTOM OF IT. Good news is that there was no sign of any attempt to chew through anything. The paths all run along the edges of the excavation to where they enter/exit above ground.

In other news, I posted here about finding an end cap for my DIY centipede. If anyone has ideas, would love to hear them.

Ask a Question