CW's Back Yard Water Garden Begins!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Think I need to set some really big boulders in there so that I can't change my mind anymore.

While it's always a good feeling to be done, it's a better feeling to know you thought it all through BEFORE you put in "the big boulders" and are happy with your plan. Tweaking your plan now is nothing compared to what it would be later! I do think I would go for the larger floor space idea - two feet seems like a good space, but once you get a few pots down there you'll really feel cramped if you have to get in and walk around. And more water without a bigger footprint is always a win!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Lisak1: Good morning, Lisa! You are, of course, completely right about all of that. As I was staring at the hole yesterday, I actually thought to myself, "I wish I were more like Lisa."

I remember you mentioning somewhere that, when you built your pond, you made a plan, knew exactly how it was going to go, and then built it. Every time I take any action on this project, I look at it for a bit and then change something. Haha. I'm the same way with all of my own projects. When I'm doing client work, I'm very decisive about what needs to be done, can make a plan, and then implement it quickly. But I'm an indecisive mess about my own stuff! Classic Solomon's Paradox.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
"I wish I were more like Lisa."

haha! I think the same thing myself every morning... I wish I could be more like ME!

We did plan plan plan and then executed the plan. But that's my nature anyway. I have to think about something in my mind until I can literally see it... once I get to that point, I know I'm ready to go. I turn ideas over and over until suddenly it's like BOOM. Real. There were definitely tweaks along the way - I mean, you're dealing with nature, things happen - but for the most part we knew exactly what we were doing before a shovel hit the ground.

Now, let me remind you about that auto-fill that was still sitting in the box when we were finished... haha!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
But I'm an indecisive mess about my own stuff! Classic Solomon's Paradox.
Never got that impression........ this hobby is a lot more then building a box. Especialy when your trying to mimic nature . There are no straight and square lines very rarely is there balance. This makes things even harder to design. If you go about it saying this is what it's going to look like this is how each rock will be placed thats a recipe for missing out on the best your rocks and pond can be look and listen to the rocks if something doesn't look right maybe it's not and try another I can't even begin to count how many times rocks got spun flipped or replaced. To find the best look.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hubby wanted drawings etc of the pond to be, so I made a few. Laid out a garden hose, to sort of show the place. Well it sort of is in the same area, it has changed over the years, added 5 more ponds. I knew in my mind what I wanted but it changed as I dug. Happy with the end result. No where anything like @GBBUDD pond. But it is great, the critters love it the fish do well the lilies grow beautifully.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
and here's a little insight for you, CW; I've built and rebuilt my original waterfall SEVEN times. Each time, I thought it was good. Until looking at it from the patio with a drink in my hand and seeing all the areas I could have done better. Seems others here have done similar. Thing is, in year 7, I thought; 'finally!' and in year 9, I expanded, having to take it all apart AGAIN!. So, there's something to be said for plans (I'm fully in line with those ideas) and yet, there'll always be something you can do, if you want to, to increase your enjoyment as time goes on. It's inevitable. And I think by everything you've asked and what I've read, you're doing great as you probably won't have any LARGE tweaks, but small ones that will keep your interest up in this hobby. I think when you don't interact with a hobby, that's when it starts dying.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Have to agree as far as planning ahead.. as we all see here probably 85 percent of the questions here are I just built my first pond and this isn't working help. And when they show a pic it's clear why they are having a problem usualy. So my hat off to you @combatwombat your doing your homework before it's wrighten in stone . Yes you have started during and the bottom you saw was possibly a bit to narrow for your liking. If I had to do it over again I would have made tge main pond all at 6 feet deep and made the shelves a bit smaller as mine are 8 to 5 feet wide in spots. It looks cool it is also the tops of the caves . Coulda shmuda. So like I said before it's just a blink in time now and the dollars won't be missed a year from now.
They say you build three ponds well I think I'm one and done and I believe your heading in that direction as well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No where anything like @GBBUDD pond. But it is great
Thanks @addy1 coming from you is quite the compliment.. I just added every bell and whistle in the book. When it comes to creating art I go all out. Trust me I drule over your 30 foot high stream coming down the hill. Not one of my falls are over a foot tall. And I have a long way to catch up to you and your gardens. I'm just hoping I'm done pond wise. The wide is happy she loves what we are calling completion.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I must confess. I had no idea what I was doing when I built my pond. No access to the internet at the time. Probably why I have moved rocks around so much. But I kind of consider it like gardening... I'm always moving plants around too. I love hearing all the planning everyone is doing. I'm learning lots. If I ever decide to redo the pond, I'll be a lot smarter!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
She is the best teacher to bad sooooooo many today have forgotten that

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That being the case @cas YOU DID OKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK i have always loved your set up and gardening, simple and classy.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@GBBUDD totally agree, being out in nature and around the water in my line of work, I am always coming up with inspiration for something around my pond. The thing most have to remember is that there are many awesome ideas inspired by ma nature, one isn’t really any better than the other just different. All are cool and interesting in their own way. Just put thought and plan what you want it your little slice of heaven to look like when it is done then figure out how to make it happen, knowing that as you go you will probably come up with an idea that changes your plans.

Im sure @combatwombat your pond will look awesome when it’s done, you are going about it the right way taking your time to make sure it is done right and looks and functions the way you want.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@GBBUDD totally agree, being out in nature and around the water in my line of work, I am always coming up with inspiration for something around my pond. The thing most have to remember is that there are many awesome ideas inspired by ma nature, one isn’t really any better than the other just different. All are cool and interesting in their own way. Just put thought and plan what you want it your little slice of heaven to look like when it is done then figure out how to make it happen, knowing that as you go you will probably come up with an idea that changes your plans.

Im sure @combatwombat your pond will look awesome when it’s done, you are going about it the right way taking your time to make sure it is done right and looks and functions the way you want.
I'd love to work on the shore line its not quite being out on the seas all day and its not always working from shore. I'm sure you have a little of both from time to time. Definitely a challenging job you have trying to stop mother nature from doing what she wants . That's a good challenge

Ask a Question