CW's Back Yard Water Garden Begins!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Lisak1: Oh, that's rough. Before we started digging, my excavator explained that every scoop you take out with a shovel turns into 1.5 scoops when you dump it somewhere because the act of digging "fluffs" the dirt up. So, you have to compact really well when you put it back or just give mother nature time to do it herself.

Sounds like your landscaper got lazy and didn't compact and you were able to catch him because of the storm you go. What a bozo to try to charge you for that.

Dirt is a funny thing. Lots of people need to get rid of it and lots of people need more of it. Should be able to just trade straight across. But it's a real pain to move it around, so there's a market to both haul it away and sell it to you.

but would have dug up our septic field.

Did I mention I dug up our septic field? Ha! My neighbors have some trees that started blooming the other day that really smell like raw sewage. I got pretty worried for a day or so before I figured out it was the trees.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol I hit the tank with my back hoe thought it was a rock, kept slamming into it until I decided I better take a look. It was our main septic tank, luckily I did not break it! That was for the stream. Then found the big drain pipe heading to the back yard while digging the ponds edge, did not break it either..............whew!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
lol I hit the tank with my back hoe thought it was a rock, kept slamming into it until I decided I better take a look. It was our main septic tank, luckily I did not break it! That was for the stream. Then found the big drain pipe heading to the back yard while digging the ponds edge, did not break it either..............whew!
LOL! I bet you didn't tell hubby for fear he'd take your toy away, huh? :p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I can do you all one better - OK, not in actual brute strength, but when we had our pond dug we PAID to have the dirt hauled away. Our HOA president saw the trucks leaving the neighborhood and PAID to have them dump the dirt for fill around our natural ponds. So technically I paid TWICE to move that dirt!

When we had our patio installed we also had some drainage issues repaired around the foundation. They dug and then refilled all around the back of the house and we paid to have the "excess" dirt hauled away. Two days later we had monsoon-like rains and the entire area around the foundation sunk about three feet, taking a good portion of the brand new patio with it. (Which made us realize - there really shouldn't have BEEN any "excess" dirt.) The landscaper tried to get us to pay for the dirt they had to deliver to fix that little boo-boo... not this time, dude. Just gimme back the dirt you hauled away!
CW beat me to it but yeah, any time you dig something out, you have to let the 'pile' sink via nature or tamping. Sort of like digging up iris to do some major weeding; once you do, you'll never put them back in the same space. That's when neighbors get freebies or some part of your lawn gets converted. Can't possibly throw away iris....can you???

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I can do you all one better - OK, not in actual brute strength, but when we had our pond dug we PAID to have the dirt hauled away. Our HOA president saw the trucks leaving the neighborhood and PAID to have them dump the dirt for fill around our natural ponds. So technically I paid TWICE to move that dirt!

When we had our patio installed we also had some drainage issues repaired around the foundation. They dug and then refilled all around the back of the house and we paid to have the "excess" dirt hauled away. Two days later we had monsoon-like rains and the entire area around the foundation sunk about three feet, taking a good portion of the brand new patio with it. (Which made us realize - there really shouldn't have BEEN any "excess" dirt.) The landscaper tried to get us to pay for the dirt they had to deliver to fix that little boo-boo... not this time, dude. Just gimme back the dirt you hauled away!
Financially, you win, Lisa, but until you've had to physically move something, think; 'whew, DONE!' and the work is hard, THEN very soon thereafter realize the huge mistake, you still have some making up to do! There's nothing more humbling and aggravating than to move heavy loads of anything by hand, TWICE! I'll be chagrined at paying more/twice than I have to but that's not the feeling that comes when it's physical stupidity!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
LOL! I bet you didn't tell hubby for fear he'd take your toy away, huh? :p
Actually I did, we were surprised to find the tank, we had no clue where it was. (no house inspection when we bought it)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Actually I did, we were surprised to find the tank, we had no clue where it was. (no house inspection when we bought it)
hope you marked it this time, you know, for when you start the NEXT pond!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
hope you marked it this time, you know, for when you start the NEXT pond!
lol It is right by one of the stream ponds, we put a orange home depot bucket over the opening, than a huge white rock sitting on the bucket so if we ever need it cleaned we know where to go. The opening is way down in the dirt. Have never cleaned it. Just the two of us and we are very careful with it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Finished a lot of work on the wetland filter today. Took pics and videos too. Unfortunately, I also got my second dose of Moderna this morning and it is now thoroughly kicking my ass. Will try to post the progress tomorrow.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I believe the light issue could probably be explained by ICE. I'll bet money most of those light were within the top foot of the pond. This is the zone no light belongs anywhere things get cold and ice over.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Lisak1: Oh, that's rough. Before we started digging, my excavator explained that every scoop you take out with a shovel turns into 1.5 scoops when you dump it somewhere because the act of digging "fluffs" the dirt up. So, you have to compact really well when you put it back or just give mother nature time to do it herself.

Sounds like your landscaper got lazy and didn't compact and you were able to catch him because of the storm you go. What a bozo to try to charge you for that.

Dirt is a funny thing. Lots of people need to get rid of it and lots of people need more of it. Should be able to just trade straight across. But it's a real pain to move it around, so there's a market to both haul it away and sell it to you.

Did I mention I dug up our septic field? Ha! My neighbors have some trees that started blooming the other day that really smell like raw sewage. I got pretty worried for a day or so before I figured out it was the trees.
I have walked through more woods all around this country and I am happy to say I never found trees that smelled like raw sewerage

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Finished a lot of work on the wetland filter today. Took pics and videos too. Unfortunately, I also got my second dose of Moderna this morning and it is now thoroughly kicking my ass. Will try to post the progress tomorrow.
Me too! Same to both: shot this AM and my old butt being kicked!

Ask a Question