CW's Back Yard Water Garden Begins!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
First load of gravel acquired. Built a little stand to wheelbarrow the gravel over the deep end so I can dump it in.

Wife came out while I was working and asked what I was doing. Told her I was installing a diving board.:ROFLMAO:

View attachment 138875
A suggestion to you, tape down those wrinkles so as your dumping stone you bury them right from the start and not have stone get under neither or just lifting the wrinkles requiring double the amount of gravel you'll need to do the job. That little bit of duct tape wouldn't bother me being left .

Your a hell of a lot more ambitious them I I didn't even have a wheel barrel for the entire pond build I did have a tractor tote but the less Emanuel labor the better I liked it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@GBBUDD: I'm going to tape down the ones I can't massage out. I'm lifting and straightening the liner as the gravel goes in to hold it down. I am also installing a layer of geofabric over top of the whole liner—a liner sandwich if you will.

The HDRPE is unbelievably tuff stuff, but doesn't stretch at all. A bit of a challenge to work with.

As for ambition, it might just be more disorganization. Every time I plan out a phase of work, I think through what machine to rent, which materials to buy first in order to properly stage them for easiest installation...

...and then end up with piles of stuff in my way and running a shovel all day anyway.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Gravel base for wall and initial layout of first course of blocks set today:

27E384D8-3CC2-44B3-9111-041B3D79A3FC.jpeg

Also, I’m placing an “overlayment” over the whole liner to protect it. However, it occurred to me that, if there were to be a leak, the overlayment would make it a real bugger to ever find and fix it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am also installing a layer of geofabric over top of the whole liner—a liner sandwich if you will.
I agree fully with this some will not they believe it will trap too much sediment. If the fabric is laying flat then there's minimal chance for build up and though I didn't do it from the start I started to when I was adding gravel . WISE CALL cw

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The HDRPE is unbelievably tuff stuff, but doesn't stretch at all. A bit of a challenge to work with.
When your doing your vertical walls I'd make a deliberate wrinkle so I'd anything does settle you left the material to absorb it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Gravel base for wall and initial layout of first course of blocks set today:

View attachment 138889
Also, I’m placing an “overlayment” over the whole liner to protect it. However, it occurred to me that, if there were to be a leak, the overlayment would make it a real bugger to ever find and fix it.
Am I seeing this right your block is sitting on the liner and or fabric ? Those concrete blocks have some sharp /course edges I'd go with a bed of sand.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I know its painful but once you get the bottom and up to the shelf I'd fill and let it sit see if there is a leak I know its alot ofcwater time and patience but we'll worth the piece of mind and work load

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Am I seeing this right your block is sitting on the liner and or fabric ? Those concrete blocks have some sharp /course edges I'd go with a bed of sand.

Blocks
————
Geo fabric
————
Base gravel
————
Geo fabric
————
Liner

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I started watching youtube videos again, and now I am seriously considering reversing the flow of the pond AGAIN, repurposing my wetland filter as a catchment basin for a negative edge skimmer, and digging a new wetland filter.

Somebody stop me...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I started watching youtube videos again, and now I am seriously considering reversing the flow of the pond AGAIN, repurposing my wetland filter as a catchment basin for a negative edge skimmer, and digging a new wetland filter.

Somebody stop me...

I'd just be too afraid of a fish jumping into the negative edge area. Also aren't you going to need to buy like 10-15 aqua blocks if you do the negative edge?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'd just be too afraid of a fish jumping into the negative edge area. Also aren't you going to need to buy like 10-15 aqua blocks if you do the negative edge?

Probably a lot more than that. Seen some clever designs that dissuade fish from jumping. Could be a concern, though.

Paging resident negative edge expert, @Lisak1...

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States

Somebody stop me...
Haha....Dude, are you actually making any progress with your pond?
There are a ton of different ways to build a nice pond, you just got to pick one and go with it, because the more you sit there and think, the more you will start questioning and changing things, getting bogged down in minutia.

Ask a Question