CW's Back Yard Water Garden Begins!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Wouldn’t worry about the cycling process being interrupted. Without an ammonia source the pond really isn’t going to cycle , your frog buddy will probably help it along though doing his business in there. Also, keep in mind every wet surface in your pond is part of your bio filter, as the biofilm that contains the beneficial bacteria we want in the pond forms on all the wet surfaces, just the gravel in the bogs provides the most SSA for bacteria to colonize.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Did I miss the part where you said what caused all the holes?

I love that the tape is working, though - so much simpler than gooping on another piece of liner!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I WONDER IF THE EPDM seam tape would do the trick. it is much thicker than the gorilla tape your using . @bagsmom found a primer /adhesive in a spray and then you place the single or double sided seam tape. I would trust that a bit more than just a thin gorilla tape but i am just looking at a photo. And if you have an area with a long week area you could use those to seam a new piece on . Call me paranoid but i also worry about plant roots as i had several in the bog that had grown into the the seams edge, i seamed ontop of a seam to insure plants didn't jeopardize the main seam

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wouldn’t worry about the cycling process being interrupted. Without an ammonia source the pond really isn’t going to cycle , your frog buddy will probably help it along though doing his business in there. Also, keep in mind every wet surface in your pond is part of your bio filter, as the biofilm that contains the beneficial bacteria we want in the pond forms on all the wet surfaces, just the gravel in the bogs provides the most SSA for bacteria to colonize.
There's plenty of time to worry about cycling

i would also caulk around each seam

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i'd be willing to bet your looking at just the top areas that flopped around in the wind the last year. it looks very similar to old trucking tarps that have many miles on the road.

This is what i feared and why i stuck with the heavy epdm

don't look at the entire project has the issue take one section at a time . you'll get by it

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Did I miss the part where you said what caused all the holes?
He is not sure, micro holes that are leaking.

I love my liner, similar but a different company. I am so sad for you @combatwombat , maybe it is just the edges that you worked around a lot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I think all of us in the group are feeling your pain and disappointment. We know how much heart and soul (and physical labor) go into a pond and you have put in so much of all of it -- for so long. It stinks with a capital S. It is not much consolation - but you have done such a great job of documenting the whole process. People have already learned a lot from you and I know your solutions to fixing this crappy, crappy situation will help other ponders down the road. I am really sorry this all happened.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States

I am so fucked. I cannot remember the last time I was this depressed. Feel like I should just undo the pond. Can’t believe this happening.
It's a difficult situation, and I am so sorry your pond has leaks. I've enjoyed watching you (and Barney) approach this build, and it has turned out beautifully. You have done a wonderful job, even if it needs a bunch of annoying, time consuming patches. Take the next step and see how it turns out, being careful, and you will get through this (wet, speckled with a little patching glop here and there, and tired, but ...)

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Ugh! I'm so sorry you're having these problems. After all the hard work and ingenuity you've put into this project, it's such a terrible setback. I really hope the issues are only at the top, where the liner was exposed, and that all is well lower down. Still a right mess to have to patch it all, but at least the problem would be manageable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks everyone. Moped around the house all last night and slept in this morning. Will to carry on still very low, but at least it’s a new day.

1. Don’t think tape is a good option anymore.

I tried to apply a patch to the backside of the liner while full to 3 spots close together that were seeping. Didn’t work at all. The drops prevented the patch from sticking and I could easily remove it after holding it in place for several minutes.

There are too many of these tiny holes for me to have any hope of locating each one, marking, draining, and patching with tape from the inside.

Think I need to move on to some sort of caulk/smearable substance that I can use to coat all around the top 6” of the liner.

I am definitely going to cut my excess liner now and not look back.

The test patch I made with extra liner and PL-S30 was still wet and easily removed after 24 hours, so don’t think that’s a great option either.

Maybe the caulk without the liner over it? I also bought some loctite marine adhesive sealant. $16/tube, but worth trying, I guess. Will make a test with and without liner over it and see how it performs after 24 hours.

Any recommendations for other products in this category I can try?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Here's another thing you all can help me with:

Let's find all the threads/posts I've made where I recommended RPE/American Tilapia so I can either edit or remove them. Maybe my mind can be changed back in time, but as of now, I no longer think RPE is a good choice for this kind of pond.

But who knows. Maybe this is all my fault. I've hesitated to reach out to the manufacturer—American Tilapia—because I have low confidence they'll be helpful. The last time I tried to ask them for advice about seaming, they didn't respond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
The waterfall: It lives!

WOW! I am blown away by this incredible build! I LOVE the flag stone waterfall the way it is spread out creating so many different spillways...I cannot imagine how excited you must be right now...fantastic outcome of all of your hard work..Thank you for this great video that gives us all an up close and personal view of your masterpiece...Can't wait to see it completed and planted...Definitely one of the very best:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
WOW! I am blown away by this incredible build! I LOVE the flag stone waterfall the way it is spread out creating so many different spillways...I cannot imagine how excited you must be right now...fantastic outcome of all of your hard work..Thank you for this great video that gives us all an up close and personal view of your masterpiece...Can't wait to see it completed and planted...Definitely one of the very best:)
Ooops...I was just catching up with this build and did not go to the end of the posts before responding. I am so sorry that you have to go through this but with your drive and determination and with all of the experience on this forum you will find a solution, I am confident....At least now you know that once you get this issue fixed you will have an AWESOME pond build...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So sorry to be reading all of this @combatwombat and hope there is some kind of resolve w/either the company or a fix for this. I have only ever used EPDM w/good results but I hear the RPE is good also or even supposed to be stronger. I was reading tho that not all companies provide the best quality of RPE. I think you need to keep trying to reach the manufacturer and try to resolve this. RPE is supposed to be very strong to withstand rocks etc. Something is wrong and perhaps you will need a professional to look at the liner to decide what could have gone so wrong. My best wishes for you and hope you feel better about this soon. Again so sorry!

Ask a Question