CW's Back Yard Water Garden Begins!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I am so sorry about the leaks. I can completely imagine how defeated you feel. I had one little area where I thought I had a hole and my heart sunk. I feel sick just imagining what it would be like if our liner seam leaks! I will send good vibes in your direction (and some prayers too) that you get it figured out and that the problem isn't as extensive as you fear.
Do you ever watch Bama Bass on YouTube? Aquascape did a backyard pond for him and that is how I discovered his channel.
He is currently working on an enormous, clay lined pond for fishing - so it is a different situation. But he had a leak and used something to fix it. Since the pond is so huge and not lined, he poured something in the water that flowed into the leak, swelled up and blocked it. I don't know if it could be used in the case of a liner pond, but it might be worth looking into?
watch

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
The waterfall: It lives!

Oh my, it's beautiful! And the sound is great too.

Posted this reply and only then caught up on the rest of the posts regarding the leaks. Aaargh! I hope you'll be able to find and plug them all (one way or the other), and that there aren't any deeper down.

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That sucks! My liner, same as yours, zero leaks. Not sure where you got yours. I used bend tarp and liner for 4 ponds 2 in az 2 here, zero leaks.

I did a bit of repair on it after a clumsy person, me, managed to stab the edge. Used pl goop and some extra liner.

I hope the link above helps you.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Here is something that might work

Gel type stuff might plug small holes.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My heart sank when you said you had multiple leaks. Any ponders worse nightmare.

Here are my positive thoughts:
1. Maybe any small holes that you don't deal with will leak so slowly that you will think it is evaporation. I would turn off the pump and see what you actually lose.
2. I don't remember... did you have clay soil? Maybe the soil itself can not absorb much water and any leaks wont be noticeable.
3. You don't have a tall, splashing waterfall that would lose lots more water.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@bagsmom: Yes, it’s very disheartening. Trying not to feel totally defeated after such a long journey. Just a week or two ago I was feeling so sorry for the new poster in Florida (can’t find his username, thought it was heyfam or something). who thought he had a leak in his bog and so relieved it wasn’t me. My how the tables have turned.

For now I continue to hope these leaks are just where I was rough with the “excess” liner for an extended period of time. Of course there is still the leaking FACTORY SEAM that American Tilapia is going to get an earful from me about.

@addy1: I’ve seen some products like this but haven’t really looked into them. Always thought they were only for clay lined ponds. Will definitely give them another look.

@cas: I love your positivity! Gonna need a lot of it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Okay, took water level measurements about 12 hours apart. First at 7:00pm last night and then again at 6:00am. Don't think there was any wind last night and no precipitation. Reservoir lost about 2" in that time period, which I calculate to be about 105 gallons. That makes for 210 gallons per day. Let's call it 250 for an even number.

That's not good, but perhaps not catastrophic. I can do this.

Looks like Everything Ponds sells an RPE specific patching tape. Waiting for some answers from them about how to apply it before ordering.

Going to work on other things today and take more water loss measurements tonight to confirm.

Right now, my biggest concern is being able to find and successfully apply a patch when the liner is dry. These holes are, to me, imperceptible. I only know they're there because I can lift the liner, see the wet spot on the back, rub it with my finger, and see a tiny dribble of water seep out. I would probably have to get a magnifying glass to have any hope of actually SEEING the hole.

So, if I HAVE to make these patches dry, I'll need a way to mark the spots that:

1. Will still be there when I'm ready to make the patch.
2. Can be cleaned off so that it doesn't interfere with adhesion of the patch.

I'm also thinking I'd prefer to make the patches from the back side of the liner since there are multiple layers of overlayment to get through in some spots.

Any thoughts on this (or anything else) are welcome. I'm really calling in the cavalry here. I'll take any ideas and try to work them into the plan. I want to fix this once and forget about it.

Thanks for the outpouring of support. This is probably going to take some time to fully rectify, so also a "thanks in advance" for sticking with me over the next however many days or weeks until I'm back on track.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
@bagsmom: Yes, it’s very disheartening. Trying not to feel totally defeated after such a long journey. Just a week or two ago I was feeling so sorry for the new poster in Florida (can’t find his username, thought it was heyfam or something). who thought he had a leak in his bog and so relieved it wasn’t me. My how the tables have turned.
Florida poster was maybe "heyfam2022" ?
You aren't the only GottaLeakGuy on the forum and it will get fixed. I understand the disheartening and all.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks for the outpouring of support.
We all are here for you! As much virtual support we can give.

I had a "leaking" edge, right where I hard on the liner building the over flow, stepping on the liner edge over and over. Did get small holes in the liner. But for me one small area to pull up stick some dirt behind and it was fixed.

Maybe it was because you were rough on the edge and can fix...............fingers crossed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Florida poster was maybe "heyfam2022" ?

Yeah, what happened to him? Built an awesome pond. Had a big problem. Solved it. Now his username has disappeared?

Anyway, I've now clocked 5" of loss in the reservoir since yesterday which more or less confirms the loss of about 250 gallons per day. Also played with increasing the pump speed to see if that increased loss. But I think that's introducing too many variables right now, and I really need to just focus on the leaks I know I have and go from there.

Trying to decide if I should just shut the pump down now and let things sit again until I get the current known leaks patched. I can see a biofilm growing on my rock and gravel already since turning the pump on just a few days ago and am kind dreading the the thought of stopping the cycling process and having to start over.

Do I accept the mounting water loss and leave the the pump running until I'm ready to start patching, try to knock the patches out quickly, and get things going again? Or do I shut it down now because, in reality, I might need to let the system sit idle for several days after patching anyway just to check for additional leaks?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Side note in an attempt to cheer myself up: DKPs often do 10-20% water changes weekly. 250 gal/day of loss to leaks = 17.5% weekly water change. Could just leave the leaks, install an autofill and tell everyone it's a trickle system.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I like the thought of a 'trickle system'. ;)
I need to add water my pond every couple of days. I lose maybe an inch of water when my waterfall is running. I could have a slow leak... or I choose to believe I am losing the water from the splashing of the waterfall or evaporation.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Side note in an attempt to cheer myself up: DKPs often do 10-20% water changes weekly. 250 gal/day of loss to leaks = 17.5% weekly water change. Could just leave the leaks, install an autofill and tell everyone it's a trickle system.
Over time those tiny holes may plug up with stuff.

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Trying to decide if I should just shut the pump down now and let things sit again until I get the current known leaks patched. I can see a biofilm growing on my rock and gravel already since turning the pump on just a few days ago and am kind dreading the the thought of stopping the cycling process and having to start over.
I don't think turning the pump off for a day or two will derail the cycling process too much. The pond is big enough that you've got plenty of oxygen in the water, and the biome will still be growing. That should allow you to see which parts of the system are loosing water so that you can come up with a plan. There's still some chance that the leak is in your plumbing somewhere, rather than in the liner, which would be a relief.
Do I accept the mounting water loss and leave the the pump running until I'm ready to start patching, try to knock the patches out quickly, and get things going again? Or do I shut it down now because, in reality, I might need to let the system sit idle for several days after patching anyway just to check for additional leaks?
Can you add some food coloring or dye to check for leaks? I've heard of people using milk for this as well.

Ask a Question