Cycling a pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
We are kind of newbies at the fish pond thing. We have green walls and bottom in our black pond and keep panicking about removing all of it. After reading all of the comments here, I am thinking maybe we don't have to, but might need to make some adjustments like more shade since pond is in full sun most of the day. My question is about the comments regarding the pond "cycling." What does that mean?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Barbg This is an old thread. Please start a new thread that is specific to your question…..cycling. That is a very good topic of discussion, and it never hurts to have it brought up every once in a while.

I’ll see if the mods can do this for you — move your comment into and start a new thread for you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Carol, I never heard of a fish getting a disease from algae. If they do get sick it's because the abundance of ammonia or nitrate in the water that is making the algae grow is also hurting the fish. If anything the algae is beneficial because it can convert some waste products into inert components that won't hurt the fish. That's how these large breeders do it. They use the algae to keep the ponds healthy because they don't use pumps and filters for the ponds.
Exactly.

Algae is not bad for the fish.
In fact it's the opposite.
Nature provides algae when there's an imbalance of your ecosystem. Nature provides algae to offset excess nutrients caused by fish waste and anything natural that begins to decay, such as leaves, etc.

If nature didn't do this your fish would suffer or even die off.

All that growth of biofilm on your liner is an important part of your filtration. And I agree, I'd rather see biofilm that a rubber liner.

These fish ponds are not meant to be hospital clean.

There are many microorganisms swimming around in there too.
It's all part of the ecosystem.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been reading some comments about ponds cycling and need someone to explain what that means. New term to me.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
cycling relates to the nitrogen cycle. Aquatic Animals produce waste which leads to the build up of ammonia ( highly toxic), the corresponding bacteria pop. Increases as the ammonia does converting the ammonia into nitrites (toxic) then the next bacteria pop increases converting into nitrates. Nitrates can then be reduced by plants, water changes etc. when your ammonia and nitrites reach zero and the nitrates are at a reasonable number then your pond is “cycled” Per se, but will still take awhile before it is stable and mature.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Cycling refers to the nitrogen cycle. Lots of information online to explain it.

Glad you are asking about this. It's an important thing to know about your pond and fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Here's a simple definition per FishKeepingAcademy.com: "Cycling a freshwater fish tank is the process of establishing and maintaining a colony of beneficial bacteria in your aquarium that will help break down ammonia and nitrite into less harmful compounds. This process is called the nitrogen cycle and is essential for keeping your fish healthy and preventing the dreaded 'new tank syndrome.'"

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Some times no matter how much you do or try to provide the best home possible for yor fish . Things can happen with zero explanation.. I just had an 18 inch koi one of my favorites die yesterday. There's not a scratch on this fish no punctures . The gills looked perfect slime coat was great couldn't even hold him.. it was eating like a horse. I had watercress in the pond for them all the fish go over and munch.

I'm thinking it had to be something it ate. I had a family gathering last week with pork and cranberries. I'm wondering if the cranberries got in the pond and it ate one. I know cranberries can be toxic for many animals.

Regardless It was a heavy loss.

Algae as mentioned in a limited manner is the best thing for your pond. If you don't over stock or or feed the pond will balance its self out in time given the filtering and current is adequate.

Ask a Question