Dang dang dang!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
I'm so sorry Pat. I have to agree with others who have said netting is the only solution with shallow ponds.

You've got a great looking pond.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@qclabrat .... you will need to cross cross the fishing line all over the place to keep the herons out. If you just put a few lines around the pond the bird will figure it out. Those lines around piers and waterfront establishments don’t really work on the gulls either, unless criss crossed a bunch. Even then some still come onto the decks and piers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I removed the pool solar cover from the pond about a month ago, but still have the mesh netting over the pond. My family keeps asking when I'm going to remove it, but I've been dragging my heels, I like the protection it affords my koi. It's an ugly set up with boards and cement blocks - ugh!

I do have fencing around the pond and shade sails over it, but am thinking of a wide weave net draped over the shade sail.......does that sound hideous ?!:eek:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had fishing line, they jumped over it, went through it, got tangled in it. The net finally stopped them. Wide weave hung high over the pond.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@addy1 How high did you put your net over the pond? Thinking about trying that with a wide weave gill net.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@addy1 How high did you put your net over the pond? Thinking about trying that with a wide weave gill net.
I have it around 2-3 feet over the pond. I have it so it will not bother the iris, lilies growing. And the heron, that just flew over again today, can not strike through it and get a fish.

I have a fence stake at each corner, wove a rope though the edge of the net. I tie the rope to the fence stake, when I want to get into the pond I can fold it back and hang on one of the fence stakes. Or I just walk under it. But tiny spiders make a lot of webs 0n the net and I have a aversion to spiders, so I would rather fold it back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have it around 2-3 feet over the pond. I have it so it will not bother the iris, lilies growing. And the heron, that just flew over again today, can not strike through it and get a fish.

I have a fence stake at each corner, wove a rope though the edge of the net. I tie the rope to the fence stake, when I want to get into the pond I can fold it back and hang on one of the fence stakes. Or I just walk under it. But tiny spiders make a lot of webs 0n the net and I have a aversion to spiders, so I would rather fold it back.

How do you prevent sagging at the center?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States

Thanks, going to try that. Never liked the look of the tighter weave net over the pond. After seeing pics of yours and others, the net isn’t very noticeable, so will give it a try.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How do you prevent sagging at the center?
The rope around the edge, woven through the fish net, is used to pull it tight. I have not had a issue with it sagging. I bought it 5 years ago, I think, had the company coat the net with anti uv black stuff. Just now it is showing some age. I leave it up year round.

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Well since Big Bird took two of my fish...i can get more
I traded a pot full of Lotus with leaves touching the surface for a "black" Butterfly Koi. Didn't know the gender till I put her in with my pond full of boy goldfish . They wont leave her alone. One of the fish the bird took was my only female and she just got done with her workout with the boys. There may be eggs from her in there somewhere.
Now the butterfly is playing tag with boys. If she survives...her name will be Banshee.
20180505_115038.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Patfish They are crazy spawning in those vids! If those goldfish spawn w/the koi you will have half breeds. Koildfish or Goifish, whatever you call them.

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Goifish sounds good to me LOL
I hoping for black butterflies with orange fins
If I understand it... the mutants won't reproduce

addy1