Darksaber Pond - My Next Adventure

20' by 30' pond w/ 30' stream and 10' by 20' wetland
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b / 8a
Country
United States
Loving those stacked slate urns! We have plans to add one to our bog this year.

Progress progress progress!
They were for my wife, I was pretty resistant to them at first but working them into the wall they have really grown on me. I was half joking with my daughter that we might get a few more as a present for my wife in a couple years.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b / 8a
Country
United States
Love the water outside the rocks on the right can't wait to see a walk down and close ups
I've been kinda waiting to get more of the landscaping in but this group might still appreciate the unfinished product. Want me to do one sooner?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Most who come here need to see how to create the shelves especially at the streams and pond edge showing how to hide the liner and how to keep the water within the liner.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b / 8a
Country
United States
Most who come here need to see how to create the shelves especially at the streams and pond edge showing how to hide the liner and how to keep the water within the liner.
I'll do a video of the edges. They won't be finished till we do the landscaping (couple weeks out) as I had them leave it partially un-done as I had specific ideas on how I wanted that to finish into the mulch or gravel beds that will surround the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
It'd actually be awesome if we did, Aquascape did a video with ice forming around the urns they were beautiful. We get some ice but not much, if it gets bad I could lose some water on two of them so I'll just have to keep my eye on that.
The reason I asked is because ceramic urns (again, I’m assuming those are ceramic urns) are somewhat delicate in winters where the ground freezes. They tend to break if there is dirt on the inside that freezes and thaws, expanding and contracting. Sounds like you won’t have to worry about that!
I’d guess they are over liner, so if ice ever did form on top, you shouldn’t have to worry, right?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The reason I asked is because ceramic urns (again, I’m assuming those are ceramic urns) are somewhat delicate in winters where the ground freezes. They tend to break if there is dirt on the inside that freezes and thaws, expanding and contracting. Sounds like you won’t have to worry about that!
I’d guess they are over liner, so if ice ever did form on top, you shouldn’t have to worry, right?
I have never had one in my hands but I would bet good money the stacked slate urn is Not made from ceramic. But I would bet they are made from a polyethylene plastic. Or similar.
About the coolest thing I have seen in all the videos I have watched regarding ponds was a stacked slate urn covered in moss it was gorgeous

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
They're resin. We installed a stacked slate sphere in our front yard last summer. I would love to keep it running all winter, but it only has a 100 gallon reservoir. The ice would consume that water way too fast.

The original inspiration for the urns, spheres and walls is on display at Aquascape. It's made from actual stacked slate. Very, very cool! They've gotten so creative with these pieces - the fountainscapes you can create with them are incredible.

@milonedp - you shouldn't have to worry about yours since they are part of the pond. Unlimited water supply!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What did they do to build your bog i don't remember seeing aquablocks in the time laps

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b / 8a
Country
United States
They are some sort of fiber resin composite, freezing shouldn't be an issue. The videos of them up in the Chicago area freezing over are pretty cool.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b / 8a
Country
United States
What did they do to build your bog i don't remember seeing aquablocks in the time laps
They used aquablox, snorkel, and centipede. There was one day of work that I didn't turn the camera back on when I put it in the mount. It could have been that day.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
cRazy,,,,,,,, thats a lot of lights how many wats are they 3 or 6

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b / 8a
Country
United States
6 6 wats,
6 3 wats and
10 1 wat

It glows because of the clay silt in the water, once I get that sorted I think it'll be better, if not I'll change things up, looking at it now I'm guessing we are going to want more in the stream and the wetland and maybe less in the pond.

With the weather turning bad early next week the electricians somehow moved me up in the schedule so they started today and are about half done.

Other than one pump where we are waiting on the check valve the pond is done until we plant in the spring. Irrigation and landscape over the next few weeks depending on the weather. I should have the check valve tomorrow and I'll install it over the weekend, that'll add more flow to the waterfall.

So happy with how it's come out, the guys have done an awesome job!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your love and awe for your pond hasn't even begun yet , just wait untill your lillies start to bloom and moss starts growing . The birds start playing and bathing in the water. Sit back and read a good book or just chill to the sounds of your water fall. And yes there is one thing better then falling asleep to your waterfall. That's waking up to the sound of the water fall it is beyond a peaceful sound

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b / 8a
Country
United States
I know we are just at the beginning. We've left the window open the last couple of nights even though it's getting into the 30s just so we can hear it.

Ask a Question