dead babies !

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
i found 2 dead baby fish in the pond this morning. only a few weeks old couldnt see any marks on them ... they were near the waterfall .. they always seem to play in it, tested my water and that all seems ok ... i do have greeen water at the moment but i had to dissconect my uv light as i have now set up my skippie, so im guessing that might be the problem with the water ... all other fish seem well and swiming around .. should i expect a few losses or does anyone think something may be wrong ?
was going to post pics of filter, but had a misshap with camera ... i wonder if they dry out after being dropped in pond !!:banghead3:

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
When my fry were small i would dip out a few dead ones ,,,out of the tank
I thought it was normal and didnt worry about it...let the strong survive
havent lost any in a while

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
ive pulled a total of about a half a dozen from mine... 2 that died from trying to eat something too large, one died with another fish stuck half way out of his mouth, and another died with a blood worm doubled up out its anus. the blood worm was over 3 inches long and formed a large loop out his butt... apparently started eating it from the center..

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I keep sorting mine, about once a week I seperate the larger ones and now I have 5 tanks with various size Koi. I also have maybe a 1000 in the pond that I cannot control, there it is, survival of the fittest.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
They are not very impressive looking since they have spent their entire life in a tank. They develop color much faster in the sunlight.

There are several thousand in these tanks, I'm building a holding pen that will allow circulation through it from the pond filtration to move them into as they will get too large for this environment. So far they are healthy but it won't be for much longer as they grow.

Attachments

• 10 gal 1.JPG
    10 gal 1.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 289
  • 30 gal smallest.JPG
    30 gal smallest.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 263
  • 30 gal med small.JPG
    30 gal med small.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 240
  • 55 gal 800 2.JPG
    55 gal 800 2.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 287

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Wow they have grown a lot since the last pics...
The fry will like the new filterd water ,,,,The koi in my lower pond wait by the fry over flow pipe for food that drains through

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
In the first picture, they are 3" long. I only have 10 that large outside the ponds. These were all caught eating thier siblings, then isolated.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
stroppy said:
my what a lot of fish !!! now i understand about all the time spent feeding that huge amount ... they will colour up more when they go outside wont they ? :0)

The UV from the sun and the surroundings, cause them to color up nicely when put into a pond. That is what makes it so hard to sell from an aquarium, the babies lack color.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
no more deaths ... but i have got 30 babies in the pond maybe more, i would like to keep a few .. i already have 19 sizes from bigest about 8 inches going down to about 3 inches ... how many of the babies can i keep without overloading the pond its about 900 uk gallons :fish2:

Ask a Question