sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
do you have a pet store there i bought a 4 outlet aerator from them under the petco name and still use it 6 years later on my stock tanks .less than 30 dollars so I got my money's worth .They sprayed here for the big power towers and killed the weeds all along the line of them .Bad was they sprayed from a helicopter .I know the towers are more than 2 miles from my house but i can see the tops of them and saw the helicopter doing something as something was sticking out the bottom and I could smell something because the wind was blowing this way and I grabbed a tarp and covered my pond .You should see the path of death I call it and People have been complaining about coughing alot since and me included .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Put 2 of the Q-tank fish back into the goldfish pond. Not sure if that was the thing to do, but they seemed to be swimming around fine, and eating. The third one, the biggest one, is still not any better. The 3 I took out and put in a bucket of fresh water are no better either, so back into the Q-tank they went, and I treated it again, since the 3 didn't get the 2nd treatment or not all of it (2 days worth). I did another 25% water change, drained it first, then filled it back in. Have to get into that pond and prune lily pads, making sure I've got no chemicals on me whatsoever. Didn't use any sunscreen today, just because knew I was going in. Will do the koi pond first, so nothing transfers from goldfish pond to koi pond. However, the 3 koi in the goldfish pond are doing fine and dandy, as are about 90% of the fish in there. Just a couple are hanging at the top by the lily pads. Not easy to catch, though, they scoot if I get near with the net. We shall see ... the saga continues.

springknee

1000 gal pond 2200gph pump
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Put 2 of the Q-tank fish back into the goldfish pond. Not sure if that was the thing to do, but they seemed to be swimming around fine, and eating. The third one, the biggest one, is still not any better. The 3 I took out and put in a bucket of fresh water are no better either, so back into the Q-tank they went, and I treated it again, since the 3 didn't get the 2nd treatment or not all of it (2 days worth). I did another 25% water change, drained it first, then filled it back in. Have to get into that pond and prune lily pads, making sure I've got no chemicals on me whatsoever. Didn't use any sunscreen today, just because knew I was going in. Will do the koi pond first, so nothing transfers from goldfish pond to koi pond. However, the 3 koi in the goldfish pond are doing fine and dandy, as are about 90% of the fish in there. Just a couple are hanging at the top by the lily pads. Not easy to catch, though, they scoot if I get near with the net. We shall see ... the saga continues.

CE
I know this is a very tread but did you ever figured out what was wrong? I'm having almost the exact symptoms with my goldie's.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I can only assume, but it happened right after the farmer had all the fields surrounding my house (literally) sprayed with a fungicide. I've asked him to please notify me this year so I can cover the ponds. They are sprayed with airplane, so if there is ANY wind, it drifts. No koi died, only goldfish, and I've had no deaths since last fall. The most of them died within a week, probably within 2 days, but did have a few stragglers die in the following 2 months, too. Thinking after a heavy rain, some of the water from the koi pond filtered into the goldfish pond, and it added more chemicals again. I never could find the specific chemical on the ingredients list of the spray, though, to determine 100% that was the cause, but the farmer is very kind, and has no problem letting me know about this year's spraying. Last year was for corn, this year for beans, and I had no kills the previous year (before last year), so thinking it only has to do with the chemical used for corn, but not taking a chance. :)

Ask a Question