Detecting a Leaking liner in large pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
Just determined that it is the liner, not the equipment that is causing a slow leak. However, I have not yet allowed the pond to get down to the lowest level because of the fish. Is there ANY way to discover that leak without practically draining the pond. It s quite large 12 x 24 roughly and there are 30 or more gold fish fish still in the pond.( herons have managed over the years to eat the kois ) For all I know the leak may even be at the bottom. I welcome any advice on how to approach this problem.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The fastest way to detect a leak in a lined pond is by turning off any water flow to external plumbing and allowing the pond level to slowly drop until the level of the leak is found. It may be possible that the leak is indeed on the bottom of the pond and provisions for temporarily housing the fish, if needed, should be arranged beforehand.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome! How deep is your pond? How fast is it losing water? And are you sure it's a leak and not evaporation? Could you set up a temp holding tank for the fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
The fastest way to detect a leak in a lined pond is by turning off any water flow to external plumbing and allowing the pond level to slowly drop until the level of the leak is found. It may be possible that the leak is indeed on the bottom of the pond and provisions for temporarily housing the fish, if needed, should be arranged beforehand.

Thank you for responding. Yes, I have determined already that the external plumbing is not the problem by watching the pond level continue to drop after turning off the pumps and fountain. I guess my next step is to let it continue to fall. I do have a couple of smaller ponds which only hold water so I can use them to temporary hold any fish. We have had a drought here in Ontario but the pond loses at least 6 inches in a week...and I have let it go down to 12 inches ( it is almost 4 feet deep) which is also becoming more tempting to the herons.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It's a frustrating problem - one we thankfully haven't encountered. But it seems the standard advice is to let the water level drop until it stops. Hopefully not the bottom, as you fear. How old is your pond @Crazme ?

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Where in Ontario?

Unfortunately, if your liner breach (if in fact it is a liner breach) is at the bottom of the pond, then the pond will need to be drained in order for the breach to be repaired.

Ask a Question