Disappearing fish.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Good observations! Thinking about it it would make sense. It was still eye opening!
Well I have good news to report, No new pictures of the owl to report, One of the missing fish just reappeared tonight. It was swimming with my wife's new fish (The ones that don't know to be scared yet! LOL) Been missing almost a week and just appeared tonight. I was very happy to see this little guy!!! This was the fish I thought that the owl got in the one trail camera pic. Thankfully I guess it missed. The new driveway sensors came in from harbor freight and I have two set up where I can hear them anywhere in the house but not directly set up in the bedroom! Now I just got to get to them before the wife does. So I guess we will see.

You might be a redneck if you spend more on fish alarms than you do on your home alarm system....

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
fishin4cars said:
You might be a redneck if you spend more on fish alarms than you do on your home alarm system....

lmao, my honey says that about me all the time...............calls me redneck, guess the years I spent out west...............

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
DrDave said:
I noticed the perch also. It was designed for a large bird. I think that bird may be a pet and the fish are feeders. As a kid, I raised owls, red tail hawks and later parrots. I built an atrium with a goldfish pond but I didn't have predators in it. My parrots loved the outdoors.

Got to thinking about it after I went to bed. (yes I dream of ponds too, must be some kind of addiction huh?)(( Or is that a Redneck thing?)) You think they had a pet racoon in there too?

Addy, I was born in Jackson Ms. and transplanted to LA. 15 years ago. I was raised in the middle of the woods and lived most of my life in a trailer park. So now we are high society rednecks. Yes our vehicles are one make now ( We did have a chevy truck with a ford motor for a while)and have all four tires the same size! I live in a home that DOESN'T have wheels, We pay almost as much for our food as pet food, and I have two more teeth than I have tattoo's If Denture's count. I do still like Boones farm strawberry hill wine for a relaxing drink and a perfect breakfast is a Little debbie snack cake and a mountaindew. well maybe almost perfect, that blackberry cobble and hazelnut Coffe sure hit the spot! I think I still fall in that redneck catagory to some extent!!!!!!! LMAO!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
:regular_waving_emot:lol::cool: fishin you are too funny, you redneck you :twisted:

EVEN MORE WAYS TO TELL IF YOU ARE A REDNECK

Your kid has a gun rack on his Power Wheel.

The dog catcher calls for backup when he visits your house.

You think that beef jerky and Moon Pies are two of the major food groups.

You have a house that has wheels and four cars that don't.

You have a set of twelve matching salad bowls, and they all say "Cool Whip" on the side.

Your secret family recipe is illegal.

You list your parole officer as a reference.

People are always stopping at your house thinking you're having a yard sale.

Your four-year-old is a member of the NRA.

The number of times you've seen either Elvis or a UFO exceeds your IQ.

You see an ad that says "Just say no to crack" and it reminds you to pull up your pants.

You drive yourself to the sixth grade.

Your wife used to be your mother-in-law.

Going to the bathroom at night involves boots and a lantern.

Your wife keeps a couple shotgun shells tucked in her bra for emergencies.

You think the last four words of the National Anthem are "Gentlemen, start your engines!"

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
j.w said:
:regular_waving_emot:lol::cool: fishin you are too funny, you redneck you :twisted:

EVEN MORE WAYS TO TELL IF YOU ARE A REDNECK

You have a set of twelve matching salad bowls, and they all say "Cool Whip" on the side.

Your four-year-old is a member of the NRA.

You see an ad that says "Just say no to crack" and it reminds you to pull up your pants.

You think the last four words of the National Anthem are "Gentlemen, start your engines!"

You must know me better than you think you do!!! That last one is true right?? Everytime I hear it that's what they say!!!!! LOL

Reaction score
addy1 said:
put up some fishing line that will catch their legs as they walk up, that might work

To avoid getting dogs trapped in there (well not really lol), I put fishing lines criss cross over the pond and area's near the pond from where they would approach at ~1.5-2m height. Kids and dogs pass under it safely, herons will touch it when landing or flying over. Ever since I did that, Ive not see a heron closer to my pond than in the tree tops of my neighbour. I used to see one weekly if not daily before I put that fish line, and more often than not on the pond side or wading through the shallow parts of the pond. Fortunately back then it was so muddy it was impossible to find fish :).

Damn pretty bird though. Especially the silver one. Huge too.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Saw one fly over today, but it kept going.......my fish don't really show yet. they are beautiful elegant birds.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Vertigo, I have already posted I had the fishing string, The heron learned fast how to approach from the side of the ond and get through the line. Netting didn't even stop it.
Addy, they look all majestic and elagant until you see a prize buddy that has been your friend for a while go flying away never to be seen again. Then they become ugly chicken neck long legged want to strangle beasts of hatred when they start stealing your fish frogs and wildlife. I now catch my self driving down the road pointing my finger like I'm shooting them when I see them standing in the ditches. lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
fishin4cars said:
Tried to post the pic I got of it and for some reason It wouldn't post. This is the shot I got tonight. I'll take any and all advice, thoughts, and suggestions. It's got to go!

Fishin, didn't the CD's work?

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
So far so good on the wire covers, and the driveway sensors. The trail cam has shown nothing in almost two weeks but my son said he saw a owl this past weekend when we were away. I have repostioned the trail cam as we have appeared to found the owls perches of attack. All spottings have been in one area so I moved the trail cam again and put it on movie mode to see what happens. We have a young bullfrog that has made is nightly perch by one of the driveway sensors. I had to move it some today as this frog as triggered the alarm three different times. I guess that's a good thing, at least I know it works and what is triggering it is safe to be in the pond for now.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
mouseams said:
Fishin, didn't the CD's work?

The CD's seemed to help. Did they fully work? I'm not real sure. But for the cost and possibiltity it is working since I haven't seen a heron in a while now, I keep them out and for sure there are less birds showing up directly around that area during the day. It doesn't seem to bother the birds fedding in the feeder in the other side of the yard though.
I have found I don't believe in the Heron decoy, Both times I got attacked I had it out. It's starting to make me think they draw them more than chase them away.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Frog sensing................you just wanted to check the frogs out............

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i heard that Fishin'...Ive actually turned around and went back home a couple times when i thought i saw one that might land at my house.(within a reasonable distance)...i never even noticed them till i saw the first one at my pond.

Ask a Question