Disappearing fish.

Reaction score
Oh WOW, that is a really good video. I don't know why but I just never thought of owls, and hawks as a predetor problem. We had baby skunks end up on the peak of the house roof and the barn shed roof 2 years ago, we figured an owl or night hawk...don't know why they didn't eat them though. But never thought about the fish...maybe cause I net I've grown to use to feeling safe. The big problem in my area right now I guess is mink.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Stroppy, My problem was I had pieces of the pond covered, had to large of openings that it could get through. The fish I suspect the owl of getting were about 8"-12" Nothing larger than that. The Heron I KNOW got the big ones, We know that for a fact, We watched it keep coming back until his luck ran out. The screen covers you see in the pics now I just completed. I would say I have probably 95% covered now The 5% that isn't covered has pretty good plant grothe coming out through those holes as you can see.) where I had maybe 80% covered before the owl attack. A second problem/mistake I made was thinking I was only fighting a heron. I left one portion of the screen off sometimes by the deck as I didn't think a Heron could reach the fish in that one spot. However, with the owl it was a different deal, it could fly in grab and go, the Heron had to hunt. Hopefully we have it somewhat fixed now. Oh BTW, Owls will sit for hours waiting for that perfect timing. The hole he was using to get fish was aprox.2 feet long x 3 ft wide at on end and maybe 8" at the other, Kind of formed a triangle. It got so good at perfecting it's hunting that it figured out a way to swoop down grab the fish and never went thru the sides of the piping. watching that video sure shows just how excellent at adaption they really are.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If you notice in the video they don't eat the fish where they hunt, they take them off to a perch. It took a while for me to find that spot but I eventually located it. My probelm is it's where I can't get a video camera or trail cam set up and it's too dark to see back in that area when the owl is out.
I wonder just how many fish that owl got from that one pond. there are at least two other videos that person made of his owl attacks. It also appears he has a racoon visisting as well. Hope the Owl doesn't get that cat. I found what appears to be a kitten, several fish, several squirrels, mice and various rodent type things and a large snake part where the owl that is coming here goes to eat. it's pretty disgusting!!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They eat whatever they can catch, very opportunist hunters.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Yea they are Addy, this one looks like he has been doing some serious eating! I couldn't believe how many bones and such this owl has left behind. It's really unbelievable. i also think I may have found it's nest. I've called the game and fish folks and they are sending someone out to take a look. I didn't know they would help in trying to remove predator birds that are protected. Might be intresting to watch if they are actually able to do anything. they said that someone would be out sometime today so I'm waiting around again today to see what they say.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow addy that video was a learning experience. That pond was shallow but it looks as tho they can just swoop down and skim the top for a fish and take right off again even if the pond is deep. Yikes that leaves us peeps w/ uncovered ponds pretty vulnerable :)
So far I have not had any problem w/ owls or hawks etc. just the heron and he hasn't been around since I had that radio out on the deck set to come on from dawn to dusk. Haven't been using it lately and I also have fish line around the sides and a little metal fence along w/ wind chimes and flashy strips of mylar etc. :alieneyesa:

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
JW, we didn't think we had a owl issue either, that wasn't even crossing our thoughts. We live inside the city limits, and in a fair size neighborhood. No real woods to speak of, just some tree lines here and there and a field that has about maybe two acres of woods but it's probably about a mile from me. however, there are a lot of older large trees in the neighborhood, great nesting sites! we also don't live that far from the marshes (maybe 8-10 miles) this is where the herons and snowy cranes live and they are probably our worst problem. Flashy things seem to help, but once the birds find out they are just that, Flashy things they don't seem bothered by them and still move in for food. Take precautions. it's a pretty sick feeling when you walk out and find your prize babies won't be coming up to be fed ever again.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So fishin ya think the net should be up off the water so the birds can't yank the fish out from between the holes right? I may build one of those easy to remove nets to have on hand especially when we aren't home :confused:
Can't bare to lose more fish to creatures if I don't have to :rolleyes:

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
JW, I still have some mixed feelings on the covering. I like the leaf netting (black and somewhat flexible, easier to see through and just looks better. It works the best as far is having to look at it. BUT That one Heron taught me that he could still get past that. I elected to use the chicken wire as it wasn't as flexible but then I found that they could actually use it to stand on. If at all possible, the PVC with the wire, netting, screen, what ever you use seems to me one of the best ideas, It's easy to remove, it can be leaned out of the way if your having guest over and such but can easily but put back once your getting ready to leave the pond area.
I have mine raised about 4-6" above the plants so that the plants can grow safely under neath and don't get as torn up when removing and replacing the covers. Plus it was just easier to build that way considering my layout. however I'm concerned that something can get under the wire and still possibly get to the fish. I may still modify my screens as time goes by to be more efficient. ( Maybe even a little more snake proof.)
One thing that has really amazed me is the fish. Used to be when I turned on the lights at night all the fish would come to the deck for feeding, Now as soon as it starts to get dark and the screen covers are on they go straight to hiding and don't come out until day light. It's weird when you look at the pond at night now, I sat out there last night for about 20 minutes and did not see one single fish. this morning at 6am, all 31 fish were accounted for. They seem to know when it's safe to come out, FOR NOW! LOL Larkin

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Must be the koi genetic pool! they got the smart genes.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I wonder what period of time this took place. That owl couldn't possibly eat all the fish that I saw taken in 1 night.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Hard to tell, if you notice there are two cameras, twice as many angles, may be over a long period of time, he does have other videos as well. I wouldn't doubt that it might be a pair. Notice where they head, back to the same feeding site, which I bet isn't that far from a nest. So far no more fish missing here and all look great, Hate the cover but I can live with it. May try and video a little later.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I wonder if he was actually feeding the owls to get the video. There were too many eaten for 1 owl in a single evening. Why would anyone not stop it as soon as it is noticed?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looked to me like there was actually a bird perch there for the owl to stand on. I was also wondering if it wasn't a set up to actually allow the bird to feed. Cuz yes why wouldn't you try to stop it somehow. It was a very shallow pond too and those fish were sitting ducks :lol:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I noticed the perch also. It was designed for a large bird. I think that bird may be a pet and the fish are feeders. As a kid, I raised owls, red tail hawks and later parrots. I built an atrium with a goldfish pond but I didn't have predators in it. My parrots loved the outdoors.

Ask a Question