Dividing Lilies YUCK!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Although it hasn't been because of my "pondcrastination" but rather Mother Nature's peavishness, we won't be able to pot our lily's until the end of this week or early next week. I'm sure she over heard us congratulating each other up here on sustaining a relatively mild winter and couldn't stand it so now she's dragging it out to the max! Drizzle, cold, and windy. It's getting old, I am done with it!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I did mine. They didn't smell at all. Sure surprised me. Glad I wore gloves, cold wet, and the clay turns your hands black!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Someone educate me a bit about Lily's please and what you folks are discussing in this thread. I inherited my pond and it came with lilies, which I thought will just grow this spring.... What's this about needing to divide them?

Hardy waterlilies have a growing point, called 'crowns' the growing part where roots go down, pads and buds go up. These crowns are formed by rhizomes which are like logs growing across the bottom of the pond.

Some waterlily varieties are incredibly slow and dense spreading, it takes years for them to need dividing.

Others, such as odorata hybrids can spread fast, form new crowns fast, spread up to 15' wide a year and choke a pond fast...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I did mine. They didn't smell at all. Sure surprised me. Glad I wore gloves, cold wet, and the clay turns your hands black!

I did not wear gloves and mine stunk. My hubby said it can't be worse than our 2.5 yo grand daughter pooping her pants, then he came outside and said, never mind, it is. LOL

I wore grubby clothes and as soon as I finished I jumped in the shower. After I got out and put lotion on my face I could STILL smell it on my hands! Blecchhhhh!

At least its been warm. The water was in the 60's and the temps outside in the mid 70's and sunny so at least I wasn't cold.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardy waterlilies have a growing point, called 'crowns' the growing part where roots go down, pads and buds go up. These crowns are formed by rhizomes which are like logs growing across the bottom of the pond.

Some waterlily varieties are incredibly slow and dense spreading, it takes years for them to need dividing.

Others, such as odorata hybrids can spread fast, form new crowns fast, spread up to 15' wide a year and choke a pond fast...

I don't know what varieties I have other than yellow ones and white ones from a local pond store, pink ones from Addy and red ones from Texas Water Lilies.com.

The white variety I have that I purchased locally spread much faster than all the others and are my least favorite, the rest spread at about the same rate. Two years is good for all of them except its pushing it for the whites. I should probably divide them annually but I don't.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I did not wear gloves and mine stunk. My hubby said it can't be worse than our 2.5 yo grand daughter pooping her pants, then he came outside and said, never mind, it is. LOL
Maybe it was because I worked on them when it was still cold, usually they do stink....................or I have become nose blind!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm hoping to get to mine next week, if the weather is good. It's not easy getting in and out of my pond, with straight sides....I'm getting older - LOL.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm hoping to get to mine next week, if the weather is good. It's not easy getting in and out of my pond, with straight sides....I'm getting older - LOL.

I only have half of your problem! Getting in is easy........... lean slightly forward :). Getting out is a lot trickier!:D
What I have started doing is using only pots with a lip around the outside edge. When I want to bring up (or gently put in) a pot I use two hoes and hook the edges of the hoe blades under the rim and lift the pots straight up with the handles.
(I am sure there's a joke in there somewhere...........)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm not gonna touch that hoe joke @Timothy !

One of our local pond stores has a hook device they use to pull lily pots up from the pond when you buy one. I really need to get one of those - I'd like to have the option to not climb in when the water hasn't yet hit 60! I was fooling with an airline the other day and managed to knock two pots off the shelf - so there they sit at the bottom until I get bold enough to wade in!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Hmmmmmm, will truths hoe technique. Would love a hook device to lift them, that would be great. I like using the oil pans, but they are heavy to lift, as they don't drain water. Surely we can come up with some idea, we could patent it and get rich !!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
See, I thought of the hanging pots... but my problem is my lilies get so big that they are heavy as heck when I finally pull them up. I think the hangers would have a hard time holding up to the weight.

Ask a Question